15 February 2014

A walk in the Park | Burgess Park


The winter seems to be lingering around London like its here to stay - I hope not! For a split second I thought the sun come out and quickly put on my boots to get some fresh air. It's been raining none stop lately that when it finally stopped it was really a chance see if there were any buildings still standing after the 100mph winds we have had as well as to take a walk and sample the cool fresh air in one of my favorite parks. Not only because its a short walk from my flat but its peaceful with lush green fields all year round but even better when spring comes in and adds a bit of colour with blooming flowers. Developed as a result of regeneration after this area was badly bombed in World War II. I also delight in that fact that the park - Burgess Park was named after a woman. Not just any woman, the first woman Mayor around these parts. Jessie Burgess was Camberwell's first woman Mayor in 1973.


Burgess Park was re-transformed in 2012 with a beautiful lake, kids playing fields and an extension that now includes BMX park. This is fastly turning out into a favourite spot in the park. On dry crisp nights I can come here and watch the brave and crazy talented kids and adults alike doing 360s on BMX bikes on the flood light lit tracks. I also can't wait for picnics and barbecues in the park. Another reason why I cannot wait for summer to come is that there is one section of the park that is lined with trees producing the sweetest berries. You bring lunch, I have the fruity dessert covered! Another cool spot is the little mound or hill in the middle of the park the gives stunning views of the city skyline when night falls on London. Just beautiful!

What I love about this area is that it also allows me to travel without leaving the country. My little secret on the Old Kent Road is the Moroccan Cafe. Well not so secret now. Don't say I never tell you anything. This is a dentist's nightmare and Bee's haven of course! French speaking Moroccans will tell you a story or two if you stick around for a cappuccino and the freshly baked cakes and baklava on view. Not that I need that much arm twisting, considering the colourful delights of Arabic and French baking that is always enticingly on display. In addition to the cafe, right across the street is an Ethiopian restaurant that would have Gordon Ramsey swearing like a sailor at just how tongue bitingly good the food here is and that includes the vegetarian option too. Ahhh. Welcome to my happy place. Just don't go revealing my little secret spots to anyone.


















 
  










#SundayTraveler

Blog hop with Chasing the donkey

26 comments:

  1. The Park looks wonderful and I want to visit all those places in the pictures! Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The park looks absolutely amazing and beautiful. So nice to see nature this way and then I scrolled your post and started drooling on the sweets hahah. Donah xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you understand how I feel passing by everyday...with no self control this place is just too dangerous to be wondering around with a purse in hand.

      Delete
  3. This is a lovely post - the park is beautiful and you have captured everything so well - lovely pictures! I really want to visit now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bex. Its definitely worth a visit.

      Delete
  4. The park looks wonderful, the perfect place for a winter walk. And that cafe looks amazing, all those cakes *drool*

    Georgie xx

    www.lifeinloafers.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! The cakes are just too yummy to pass on.

      Delete
  5. Looks like a wonderful park! Wouldn't mind taking a walk there as well :)

    Love,

    Rowan


    Personal Style Blog WWW.REDREIDINGHOOD.COM

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhh what photos! The park is nice... but I want to go eat those cakes :) Thanks for linking up with us to #SundayTraveler

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes those cakes are irresistible. Tasty!

      Delete
  7. I love all the pictures!! What a beautiful park!

    Thank you for your nice comment on my blog sweetie! Let's stay in touch! <3

    Diana
    www.ManhattanImageandStyle.com
    New Outfit Post: Brown Tones

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for your comments on my blog.. i really appreciate it..lovely pictures great shot... love your blog

    http://gafashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by Grace. Follow me on bloglovin to keep in touch.

      Delete
  9. Ah! Beautiful photos! I especially love the ones with the Shard in the background - it reminds me of my time in London last winter.

    P.s. that IS the Shard, right? Or am I just making things up here? :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha.. Yes, that is the Shard which can be seen from almost any corner of London. Thanks for dropping by Pauline :D

      Delete
  10. Aww cute duckies!! So glad I clicked on your comment on FASHIONVIBE and got led back here to yours. I like that you take your own photography instead of using pictures from pinterest or tumblr like other blogs, it's more personal and original this way. Just followed you on GFC and bloglovin', be sure to see more of you soon. By the way, check out my new crystal-feathered runway DRIES VAN NOTEN coat with a velvet CHANEL BOY BAG in a tomboy gone lesbian-chic outfit, definitely one of my BEST lewks to date! #PROVOKING

    xx The Provoker
    http://www.the-provoker.com/2014/02/lesbian-chic.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nathan, I really appreciate you comments. I try as much as possible to use my own pictures as I feel like I am cheating if I dont.

      Delete
  11. I hadn't heard about this park before though I thought I knew London quite well. It's always good to discover new places (thanks to Sunday Traveler). Lovely photos of the cakes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know there are so many and my goal this year is to see as many as I can and hopefully take some pictures for you all to encourage people to see them :D

      Delete
  12. Wonderful photos! I'd probably have to do a lot of walking around that park after eating all that food! Thanks for linking up to the #SundayTraveler :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ashley. Haha I know. Maybe I should eat them as I walk...kill to birds with one stone.

      Delete
  13. What a lovely park! It makes me wish I could get outside more. I'm tired of having to trudge through all this snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen the pictures of the snow. I totally don't envy you.

      Delete
  14. Lovely photos! That park is beautiful, it might just motivate me enough to run there :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such lovely photos - it makes me miss London so much! I just spent the most magical weekend there and whilst I'm glad to be back in Paris I miss being home quite a lot! Those ducks are so cute!

    http://www.farfelue.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faye. Well you are only a Euro Star away from visit home. But I will bet Paris is just as awesome

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.