11 February 2014

Cologne's Love Locks Bridge

Cologne's Love Locks Bridge

"To find someone who will love you for no reason, and to shower that person with reasons, that is the ultimate happiness"


This Friday, Valentines day is upon us once again(its happens every year you know!). In my recent trip to Germany I passed through Cologne and while exploring my friend showed me Cologne's Love Locks Bridge after a visit to Kolner Dome. Germany is not known as a romantic destination so I was taken by surprise seeing all the beautiful locks on the Hohenzollern bridge. It appears the trend from Rome's Milvian Bridge on the Tiber not only reached the Parisian Pont de l'Archevech on the Seine but made its way to Cologne as well. As trains rumble over the Hohenzollern bridge so do thousands of hearts as row after row of padlocks decorate the stretch across the river with messages of love. Various shapes and colours of padlocks all engraved with names and dates of marriages, engagements combined add up to some 40,000+ padlocks hanging on what is now Germany's Love Locks Bridge or perhaps the bridge of love as I call it. Considering the tradition in Cologne only started in 2008 the number of locks left here has grown and to 2 tons in weight, and has been weighing heavily on the hearts of many local officials who questioned how long this tradition can be sustained for. After much protest from lovers in the city they have now decided that it will continue into the foreseeable future.


Well love is all around us so its not a surprise that this charming tradition has gone Trans-Atlantic. As proof of everlasting love for couples, this tradition of locking in their love on the bridges around the would has now taken to places as far as Latvia and China!

Romance is not just restricted to the so the called "most romantic" city in the world aka Paris or Rome depending on who you ask. Walking on the bridge in Cologne you can't help but read all the inscribed writings on the locks, its so sweet and heart warming. Its beautiful to see, whether you are in love or not.

So if you are bored of sending flowers and chocolate this Valentines day how about saying it with a Padlock? Providing it comes with plane tickets?...

So where else have you spotted a Love Lock Bridge? Or have you yourself locked in your love on a bridge somewhere?

Cologne's Love Locks Bridge

Cologne's Love Locks Bridge

Cologne's Love Locks Bridge

Cologne's Love Locks Bridge


Cologne's Love Locks Bridge

Cologne's Love Locks Bridge







This is also part of the Sunday Traveller blog hop  hosted by Chasethedonkey with the theme centered around #Love  in light of Valentines day.
 


 Cologne City Break | German Short Breaks | Visiting Frankfurt | Top things to See and do In Germany | Blog Hop | Blog Challenge | SundayTraveller | #SundayTraveler 

24 comments:

  1. nice pictures!

    WWW.MOUSTACHIC.COM
    WWW.MOUSTACHIC.COM
    WWW.MOUSTACHIC.COM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for linking up to the #SundayTraveler this week. WHAT A SET OF LOCKS! Seriously how many are there...wowzers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Crazy huh? Maybe you should start the tradition in Croatian if there isnt already one.

      Delete
  3. Wow I've never seen this before! It looks beautiful and such a lovely idea! X

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a gorgeous idea! I think we should do this in my city as we've four bridges over the river. Your photography is gorgeous :)

    Fiona @ www.dollydowsie.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a fab idea; I've seen photos on Instagram of these bridges but I've never seen one in real life before! It's going on my bucket list! :) Great photos!

    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pictures! I love the love lock bridges! Thanks for linking up to the #SundayTraveler!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ashley, cant wait to take part in more #SundayTraveler blog hops.

      Delete
  7. Great post and photos! We have seen love love bridges throughout Europe, and we my have even put one on somewhere. I totally agree that the romance of the city isn't in the name or reputation, but rather the memories and enjoyment that you have there! Glad to have connected via #SundayTraveler - safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats awesome. I may now have the courage to lock my love in next time I am near a love lock bridge. :D

      Delete
  8. Wow! This is so romantic I'd love to visit here when I get married, just need to sort out the boyfriend bit first!

    I'm going to share this post on my Facebook page if that's okay! I love it


    Gemma from ButtonsBlog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gemma. Please do! And you dont have to wait until you are married to visit there.

      Delete
  9. Wow! Great photos darling!
    Do you wanna follow each other?
    Kisses

    zabawa-moda.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow that's impressive! I haven't seen those before but I have seen a love lock TREE once in Budapest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Budapest is definitely on my list and hopefully I will pass by the love lock tree.

      Delete
  11. WOW that is a LOT of locks. More in one location than I have ever seen elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an amazing set of photos from the Cologne's Love Locks Bridge. Really lots of locks!
    Thanks for linking up to the #SundayTraveler.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it! Too bad it didn't know about their lock bridge when I was there. Cologne is such a lovely city!
    http://liveitinerantly.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats a reason to revisit if there ever was one ;~P

      Delete
  14. We have a Love Bridge in Krakow - Poland - too :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I havent been to Poland yet but I so badly want to see Krakow next year.

      Delete
  15. Lovely post! This was the first love lock bridge I ever saw and had no idea about the concept of it till I stumbled upon it in Cologne - so nice to see these great pictures to remind me of that :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.