19 February 2014

Travel Confessions | Burg Kronberg


Travelling between cities in Germany couldn't be easier. Leaving my hotel bed to taxi it to Dusseldorf station at a 5 o'clock arrived with enough time to get some much needed coffee. Met shortly by my friend  who had arrived at the platform complaining of pillow deficiency having hit the snooze one too many times that he woke up at the time his taxi was collecting him from home.

We parted ways at Frankfurt airport station as he was heading for Mainz while I was heading to Kronberg. Booking for intercity train can be done in advance so you can quickly board your train without queuing for tickets.  I booked my ticket from Dusseldorf to Frankfurt online and just had my friend reserve seatting so we can sit together. Dusseldorf also has great links to other cities. You can also catch the train into Paris from as well as go to Munich and Cologne which we drove to on my visit.

I love transportation in Europe, because in some parts it is just as good as London if not better in some cases and way way cheaper than the rip off we have to deal with in London. I am off to Newcastle soon and my train ticket is about the same as I would spent on a weekend European city break, but that's a story for another time. After arriving in Frankfurt, taking the S4 line from Frankfurt, within minutes I was in Kronberg.  A few steps from the station I could see the Burg Kronberg perched up hill. I had no idea Germany was this hilly.  I was told that there wasn't much to see in the city but determined to prove the reviews wrong. My mistake!

Apparently Kronberg is more of a tourist town so arriving in the off season like I did you will find it has fallen into hibernation. It appeared to be in hibernation when I arrived as most stores were closed. That didn't stop me from finding my own joy playing football(okay, a kick around) with the youngsters outside the mini square in Berliner Platz before heading for a nice hot chocolate with banana crepe at Giola's cafe. A German speaking Italian who can also count English among the languages that seemed to effortlessly roll off his tongue. After taking refuge from the drizzle outside it was time to move on and see the rest if this this sleepy yet quaint little town. I came across this beautiful church hidden in the back of their main street with the retail shops, St Peter and Paul church.

The main attraction here is Burg Kronberg (Kronberg Castle) which was perched up high with a less than obvious entry to the street leading to its entrance.  Walking passed the cobbled street, having had two cars stop to offer me greetings took me by surprise. Its not everyday I have this much attention in a new city. Maybe I should start charging a few?  Having managed to find my way to Burg Kronberg I was so disappointed to find it closed. The museum right next to it was closed too. I walked up hills to get there and not even a squirrel to greet me at the top.

I thought to myself that I had come this way I was going to see if I can find some to help me. I pushed the little door on the medieval gate open. To my surprise it was open! My first thought was that I hope I am not faced with Canines otherwise all lady like walking would be abandoned and I was going to be sprinting out of there quicker than Usain Bolt or possibly go all Jackie Chan and climb the walls out of there. It was quiet as I approached the tower within the grounds. Built between 1220 and 1230, its a beautiful building that has seen its share of better and worst days of history gone by and yet it stands. Admiring the intricate designs on the small doors surround the building, one thought that came to mind was that this building was built for midgets because of the little doors, many small and short doors I came across and I have never known Germans to be this short. It suddenly donned on me that I had the place to myself! I finally found my castle! All that was waiting for was for me to mark my spot and claim it mine mine mine! If I wasn't heading back to London in a few days I would have, between that and the fear of being someone's girlfriend in a German prison was enough of a chilling thought to stop my claim to monarchy and being queen of my own very own castle. Leaving the grounds with no one to give me a tour, I managed to contact my friend when I got back to the hotel to translate the sign on the entrance which said  something to the effect of do not enter...or enter at your own risk - due to the refurbishment and maintenance currently taking place on the premises.  I guess it explains all the drilling coming from behind the walls and cement that was lying around the place. Oh well is was too late by then. I still managed to take some pictures! Plus more of the city surroundings.

From some of the pictures I have seen, there is also a secret garden which looks so beautiful in the sunnier months. Hopefully I will return to take pictures of the inside during tourist season? Will see.

So ever found a popular tourist site open and empty? Did you go in?...

































Burg Krongberg
  Address: Schloßstraße 10, 61476
Kronberg im Taunus, Germany
For more details check their site here.

17 comments:

  1. Stunning pictures, reminds me so much of when I used to live in Germany.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nuria. I have really taken a shine to Germany.

      Delete
  2. i want to go there! germany is still on my list to visit. love european architecture

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, Germany definitely is charming. You must visit.

      Delete
  3. beautiful pictures your photography skills are exceptional
    www.mybubbaandme.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love transportation in Europe as well. So easy and relatively cheap in most areas. Traveling off season is my favorite thing to do! I love the quiet mornings and a glimpse into true local culture without the tourists! Beautiful photos!
    http://liveitinerantly.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, off season is sometimes the best way to go. I went to Pisa in the off season as well. Ridiculously cheap and it was still enjoyably busy there.

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful post.
    You have a interesting blog
    kisses
    www.welovefur.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :D Follow me on Bloglovin to be updated on future posts.

      Delete
  6. Absolutely beautiful pictures!
    You have a great photographic eye!

    Caitlin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caitlin. Still learning as I go. Getting plenty of practice with each place I visit.

      Delete
  7. Amazing pictures!! Thank you for this wonderful tour! ;)

    Diana
    www.ManhattanImagenadStyle.com
    New Blog Post: How to Look Well Rested

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diana. I have two more of the beautiful Kolner Dom in Cologne and Essen's crafty house :D

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.