20 July 2015

The Colours Of India

Humayun's Tomb in Delhi
I have yet to come across a wanderluster(read travel addict) that has not dreamed about travelling to India. The very mention of the country conjures up pictures of bustling cities in India's capitals, with tuk tuks meandering through chaotic and congested traffic, food sellers at the markets enticing you to taste their aromatic currys, colourful saris cris-crossing the streets in warm and toasty weather of course. I have longed for a trip to India to ever since I was a teen. Imagining what it would be like to set my eyes on the Taj Mahal in Agra, visiting the Golden Temple of Goa, taking a boat ride to see the Water Palace in Jaipur or just taking a train journey from city to city and letting views and colours of India unfold before me from my train window.

This dream of visiting India came true two months ago when my boyfriend and I embarked on a quick trip to Delhi. Quick for me but longer for him as he was there on month long business trip. My trip was short and sweet but included visits to Agra, Delhi and Gurgoan. India is everything you imagine it to be and so much and more, and thankfully it was without the 'Delhi Belly'. The crazy traffic or  rather 'organised' chaos, in addition to the bustling madness, there is the people aspect; lovely, warm and welcoming. But, as welcoming as everyone was I was also a little taken back with the people staring. In many other countries I have been to, considering I was either visiting some European countries or East Asia where there aren't that many black people, I obviously stood out like a sore thumb, so the staring wasn't a surprise, somewhat. This time I was in India! Where people are only a few shades lighter than my chocolate hue, if not the same shade of chocolaty goodness. Yet, I still found myself being photographed(some asked and some were just sneaking in shots - I am guilty of that too, รก la "street photography") and in some cases mobbed a little. Perhaps it might have something to do with me strutting about in my big hat, which by the way was stolen just hours before I boarded my flight back to London. I was a little gutted as I bought it in Namibia last year and its been with me through my little African expedition through Zambia, Botswana and Namibia. Whoever has it has some major attention to look forward to.  My attention grabbing in India only fell short of being asked to give autographs. Some moments were so funny, I had parents saying their children would  like to take a picture with me, then only for them to jump into the picture too. Yeah, sure your 3 year old asked to take a picture with me. They were all really sweet about it too. And no this definitely doesn't put me off heading back to India(if one didn't have to do the work thing, one would be heading to  Heathrow airport checking out the next flights to India).

Soon after I got back I got an email introducing me to some of India's charm through aromatic teas, oils and scented room infusions via Great Rail, as an introduction to Great Rail's infographic on the Colours of India showcasing some of what you can see on the rail journeys through India. Had I not just been to India I would have probably shed a tear at being enticed to immerse myself in be bold colours of this beautiful country electronically, instead of a ticket back to India to fully experience it first hand. Luckily I have seen some of India's stunning and beautiful architecture, learnt about some of its past empires and what they brought and contributed to India's cultural heritage, from temples that have stood the test of time, learnt about art left behind by Persians and how this has now blended in with styles of architecture and the imported rags from India still using Persian methods. Truly majestic sites that leave indelible marks that will forever conjure a smile with each recall of my explorations in the hustle and bustle of the towns I passed through. Both  on my own explorations and those with my boyfriend, before I left him to get on with a month long work venture.

I already miss seeing the beautiful temples all around New Delhi. Yes, even the cows chilling under the trees to avoid the heat or the ones roaming the roads freely. I miss it all. I am hoping to return soon, as there is just so much to see and explore in this beautiful country and hopefully be reintroduced to colours of India through the Great Rail's train journeys across India.

In the meant time below are a few pictures from my visit in India with plenty more to come. I took what seems like a million of pictures, so look out for more posts to come with tips on getting around Delhi, top things to see and do in  both Delhi and Agra.



The Taj Mahal In Agra
Watching Tuk Tuks at the bottom of our Marriot Hotel in Gurgaon
Semi Precious Stones decorate the Taj Mahal - Malachite, Coral, Lapis and many more.
Agra  Fort In Agra
Agra  Fort In Agra where Shah Jahan (Mamtaz Mahal's husband) was jailed so that he had views of the Taj Mahal where his wife was buried.












The Lotus Temple In Delhi - A Bahai religious place of worship/temple
India Gate in Delhi - A few meters from the presidential palace.
The entrance to the Taj Mahal
Views from Humayn's Tomb
The Red Ford In Delhi

So you never miss a post, be sure to follow me on 

16 comments:

  1. I have also dreamed of visiting India for a very long time. So excited for you that you were able to go! I love the photo of you in front of the Taj Mahal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I absolutely enjoyed exploring the Taj Mahal and would happily visit again.

      Delete
  2. Oh, I bet you'll miss that awesome hat! You look great in it. What a lovely trip this must have been to satisfy a long-held dream. The photos you took convey your excitement as you drank in the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such beautiful photos and lovely architecture!


    Agnes x

    http://blvckbee.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow beautiful post!
    http://lensattire.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, great post and trip! I also dream of visiting India, though as you say, I want to do it once I have time to spare, really there is so much to see and experience in this vast country! I also heard before that India makes you feel like a movie star... haha. Your picture with all these Indian guys is funny :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have loved to stay longer but an opportunity knocked an I answered! Even if it was just 5 days in India.

      Delete
  6. Gorgeous photos! I really need to get to India asap :)
    Simone
    www.theaussieflashpacker.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Bianca!

    I'm a new follower, just discovered your blog :)

    Beautiful photos! I too have wanted to visit India for the longest time, but unfortunately I haven't made it there yet. Perhaps some day. For now I guess I'll have to settle for visiting vicariously through you! :D

    Thanks for sharing.

    http://ablogbyrobert.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robert. Glad you found me. Hopefully you will love the travel stories unfolding on the blog :D

      Delete
  8. As always, your photographs are incredible stimulation for my senses. I love the one through the door opening and the photo of you in front of the Taj Mahal is brilliant! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Hopefully you will love my up coming posts on things to do in Delhi.

      Delete
  9. Absolutely beautiful photos here of a wonderful country. Really is up there in my list of places I want to visit, I just love all the detail in the buildings, so vibrant and full of life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is. I saw another flight deal to India and I was so tempted to book another trip, You definitely have to see it.

      Delete
  10. This is absolutely gorgeous. I'd love to go!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is absolutely gorgeous. I'd love to go!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.