29 July 2015

Travel For Next To Nothing - 10 Tips and Tricks To Help You Save Money and Travel More




I always seem to get asked how I afford to travel so much. This post should answer some of these questions. There are plenty of people who have this notion that you need to be rich or have lots of money to be able to travel. You don't! I am living prove of this, trust me. Contrary to what people may believe, I am sorry to disappoint you, I do not have a couple of Irish leprechauns churning up gold coins in my imaginary spare room - well not anymore anyway. I love it when people say to me "Bee, I can't afford to travel as much as you do".  'First things first, if you go to Starbucks, Cafe Nero, Costa, Boots(meal deals) or any other cafes that you grab food at, a couple of times a week, then you can definitely afford to travel! 

I am sure you are asking yourself, Bee, how the hell do those things relate? Hold on, I will explain. Okay, so let's take Starbucks for example, a latte costs £2.95 a cup, and if you were to add a panini and/or one of their sweet cakes or snacks, you are well into about £7-8. If you go to Starbucks at least 2-3 times a week, that's about £96 a month! Guess how much a weekend in Copenhagen cost me?! I paid £20 a RETURN, for a return ticket! Which obviously meant Bee was supper excited that she thought of buying another £20 return ticket for the boyfriend to come along for the experience. So out of that £96, we have spent £40 on plane tickets with £56 left in change. I also booked a lovely little studio in for the weekend which only came down to £45, which still leaves you another £11. You can put that towards your food or any other tourist  stuff you want to do - most of which are FREE! You can check out some of my posts on Copenhagen as well as my guide on things to do in Copenhagen. Now, I am not saying that visiting Copenhagen will only cost you £96, I am merely using it as an example to illustrate just how inexpensive travel can be with a little change in lifestyle. On the other hand, if you become a danger to society without your caffeine fix then, by all means, keep that Cafe Nero or Starbucks routine (I would hate to see you on the six o'clock news). Instead save £20 from your wages a month or whatever you can afford, or walk to work instead of buying that daily bus/train pass.

Anyway, this was not a post on travelling to Copenhagen for that you can check out my quick guide to Copenhagen. I also not a believer in totally maxing out the credit cards just so I can get a quick fix to my itchy feet and incurable wanderlust because that credit card statement will be waiting for you when you get back home. If you have one, make sure it comes with rewards(check out my link to the points guy below)! Travelling on the cheap doesn't mean you miss out on luxury. It's ok to be a cheapskate that loves luxurious things in life. Marriott hotels don't come cheap and yet I have stayed at many for FREE! I have stayed in lodges right on the banks of the Zambezi with the safari animals roaming right before me, and that didn't cost me half as much as people would think. If you want to travel more, or travel for close to nothing then I am sure the travel tips below will help you do just that. I have put together some of the travel tips I live by, that can see me travelling short and long haul a couple of times a year without messing up my credit score or selling my kidneys for a plane ticket.

1. Be Loyal, Because Loyalty Pays


I travel quite a bit for work. My longest project was in Peterborough for about a year and about 6 months of that, I basically lived at the Marriott Hotel. So I signed up for their rewards scheme. In a period of a few months, I had racked up 250,000 points! Guess what that got me. That got me 10 beautiful days in Hong Kong! My colleague who was on the project longer than me had racked up enough points to go to Maldives with his then girlfriend(now wife), that's flights and hotel for a week for two people. ALL FREE! Also getting to Peterborough was by train from London to Peterborough via East Coast Trains at Kings Cross, now run by Virgin trains. I signed up for their rewards as well. I earned enough points to go to travel to Edinburgh via first class too. Not mention I still had plenty more points to spare. You can read my post on Top 10 Things To Do In Edinburgh for more. Also when a train is late/delayed/cancelled I don't even get upset anymore, because if it's late/delayed for 30 minutes, you get half your money and 1-hour plus, you get your full price back in vouchers.  To use whenever you please. So sign up for those loyalty schemes if you want to travel. These will allow you to either use for travel or other things like spa days, flights, hotel stays or voucher to use in retail stores.

2. Charity Begins At Home


If your parents, your sister, brother or cousin is travelling, help them book their flights or accommodation. If they are not on a loyalty scheme then you get to charge their points to your account. My boyfriend's recent trip  to Cuba was booked by yours truly. Same thing when it came to his flight to India via Emirates airlines. All his points went to my account because he doesn't have a rewards account with them. I was with him for the first 5 days of his trip to India, in addition to his 20+ days stay in India at Marriott. Guess what? Between points earned while staying in India for a month and those I earned while on a project in Liverpool at the beginning of the year, I now have enough Marriott points to cover at least 4-5 days FREE stays in China, Panama, Qatar, South Africa, Turkey, Russia, El Salvador, Malaysia or even Malaysia. Leaving me with just hunting for a cheap flight to get to my chosen destination.

3. Booking Hotels Early - Early Bird Gets Catches The Worm


This doesn't really apply here, in a way.  Of course, book early so that you get a better choice in where you stay. My favourite hotel booking site is Booking.com. This is because of their hustle-free booking and free cancellation. For my recent trip to Greece, I needed a place for myself, my sister and her friend. We were travelling to Santorini and Athens so I needed hotels for both cities. I booked several options. Each time I saw a place I liked I booked it! As the trip date got closer and closer I narrowed it down by cancelling a few that weren't close to what we were going to be doing. The trick here is to keep a close eye on the deals for the same hotels you have already booked. My stay in Athens, I had booked at the Radisson Blue and as the weeks passed there were more deals being added for the same room I booked. About 2-3 weeks before we were due to leave they had more deals for the same hotel and room that we had already booked for about £60 lower than the price of my booking. I booked it and cancelled the previous booking. That was a good chunk shaved off our total. That's also a little trick I use all the time. Book whole bunch and watch them bring the prices down. So book on the cheaper price first before you cancel the first booking. You can also compare your deals with other sites but make sure they offer the same flexibility when it comes to free cancellations.

4. There Is Strength In Numbers - Make Group Bookings - Hostels And House Rentals


I am not a big fan of hostels but I am starting to turn over a new leaf as hostels have stepped up their game in the last few years. I have also been challenged by YHA Hostels to go on a weekend staycation for under £100 for two people! So watch how that unfolds in the next 2 weeks. If you are budget conscious then don't overlook them as there are some really good ones out there. Yes, even for those like me that don't like sharing rooms, bathrooms and such, with strangers. There are hostels out there that have single/double occupancy rooms. You still get to have the "community" feel of travel where you meet other travellers in many of the events or pub crawls that most hostels host and still have your own space. Another way to save money is renting a place. I have found this to be a great way to save money if you are going as a group. My friends and I rented a villa in Malta for a friends birthday trip. For a total of seven days, we paid about £110 each. Can you imagine how much seven days would cost if we all had to have our own hotels rooms(even if we shared)? It would definitely cost a lot more. Above, I also told you about the studio rental in Copenhagen. So you can also rent out a place and still save money. Sites like Airbnb, HomeStay, HostelWorld, Expedia as well as Booking.com, Trivago all have some crazy deals too. So compare those and get the one that suits budget and needs. You can also rent out your place on Airbnb while you are away so you have money when you are back from your travels. In a way recoup your travel costs.

5. Seek out Opportunities To Travel For Work 


If your work involves a little travel then make the most of that and explore the places that it takes you to. I had been sent for Sitecore training(IT stuff for those not in the know) in Kronberg, Germany which was starting on a Monday and ending on Wednesday. The tickets were already paid for so it didn't matter that I got there on the weekend  as Saturday expenses would be my own while Sunday night was paid for as I had to arrive by Sunday in order to start  at 9am on Monday. So what did I do? I flew in on a Friday night! I visited Dusseldorf on Saturday,  Sunday I was in Cologne, and Monday morning I was in Kronberg! It always helped that I have a friend living in Dusseldorf so exploring with his car made it all that much easier(see point 6). While I was in Kronberg, in the evenings I explored the town. You can read about my explorations and how I found myself in a castle on my own in Kronberg here. Straight after the course, I was back at the airport and back in London in about 2 hours! Also, note that if you travel for work try and keep to one hotel group and add your stays to your loyalty scheme accounts. You can also check out my Instagram/Twitter posts of my explorations of places in Peterborough, Port  Sunlight in Liverpool where I took advantage of fact that I was there for work and explored the city. I have also been to Madrid for work and managed to have some of our Spanish colleagues take us out on the town to see where the locals' watering holes are(think bars!).

6. Be An Opportunist


Take advantage of the fact that you may have friends and family overseas. Go and visit them and hopefully they are kind enough to let you lounge in the spare room or couch. You will only be spending money on your ticket and maybe food. I was in the USA a while back and spent most of my time at my sister's in Columbus Ohio, before going to lounge at my brother's so I could explore Michigan. The only hotels I paid for was when I went solo to Chicago and Seattle. I forgot to mention that Seattle was paid for with my Marriott points. Plus I had views of Mount Rainer from my room - Score! My exploration of Croatia's Zagreb was also while visiting a friend who offered me a spare room. Her mum also managed to cook for us one afternoon and hey presto, less money to spend on food. My trip to Dusseldorf and Cologne I mentioned above, were made easy because my friend drives so I had my very own personal guide in the city. My next opportunity is by way of Alissa who is going to be my  personal guide and host when I visit Australia end of the year. So again unless we leave her home city of Melbourne the accommodation bill will be much lower then say, if I would be staying at a hotel. Now I am not saying you should now just start being a fake friend just for the sake of travel, but make sure nurture your distant friendships around the world as you may need them just like your friends may need you when they are coming towards your city.

7.  Travel and Earn Money While You Travel


This one doesn't really apply to me as I have a full-time job at the moment, in addition to the demands of this blog, but think of other ways to earn money while you travel. Below are a few ideas to help you earn money if you do extend your travels. In saying that, if your job isn't time demanding then these can also help you earn money in addition to your current job where ever you are. The money can be used towards home and away travels.

1. If you are good with your camera then consider photography(will do a post on how to improve your photography soon). You can take event photos for small/local companies in the city you are visiting.
2. Manage a social media account for a local company.
3. Teach kids or even adults computer skills(we take things for granted in the developed world sometimes). Teach someone to use your laptop's basic functions like, sending an email  to their family,job searching, these skills may sound stupid to you but will mean the world of good to someone who can then move on to using a computer at their nearest library.
4. Do you dance, do yoga, or are into health? Then how about you teach it the next time you are in a new place?
5. We all have transferable skills, most of which we can earn some money from. Teaching any other skill not mentioned above giving marketing or business advice to local business in your new town. This can help you pay for your next destination. Failing that you can find a local farm and see if they need any picking and packing.
6. Don't take your job hunting skills for granted! How about teaching people how to write the CV and cover letter or even helping people find jobs abroad. Or any interview and job hunting skills you already know.

8. Watch Where Your Money Goes - Buy Experiences, Not Things


Do you really Need That? For those that shop for the sake of "oh my gosh, it was on sale and I just couldn't resist", then this one is for you. If you are a lover of ridiculously expensive things then weigh things up. Is that *insert brand name here* going to give you the same experience as witnessing the sunrise on Table Mountain  or watching leopards elegantly walk across your path(post to come) in Botswana's Okavango Delta? Then put that expensive purse, sneaker, clothing item down and head for the next airline ticket desk instead. If you cannot stop then buy elegant, quality and timeless pieces. Those things do not go out of fashion and if they are good quality they will see you through many destinations looking as fierce as Naomi Campbell strutting the catwalk. I am sure some of you have seen my Vivienne Westwood bag feature in a lot of my pictures on the blog. I have been travelling with that old gal for years and she still looks as new as the day I laid eyes on her. In my best cockney - Quality Mate! I am a lover BIG statement jewellery pieces and handbags, but I don't buy them as much as I used to, so now only buy if there really is a real need(or crazy ass sale) because travel experiences for me have taken more of a priority than having the latest purse. BUT, I trust me I wouldn't decline one if Gucci, Prada or even Michael Kors was to have one delivered to my door. 

9. Have Great Flight Search Skills - I'M Like A Bird, I Wanna Fly Away.


Yep, Just like Nelly Furtado, I am like a bird that constantly wants to fly away. By far the most expensive part about travel is the flight, but most of the time its not as expensive as you think it is. Want to travel to Kenya or Tanzania's Serengeti for a safari but think its expensive? Do you want to visit Brazil but think its expensive? It's not. I love markets because I love the thrill of the haggle,  it's the same when it comes to flights, in that I love me a BARGAIN. Check out Google Flights as that will show your flight prices for various destinations leaving from your city or your chosen starting point. You can even choose a destination based on how cheap it is to fly there. Another site that has AMAZING deals is Secretflying.com. I watch this site like a hawk. I have come across flight deals to Kenya, South Africa, Tanzania, Panama, China for well under £300 for a return!  They have deals from the USA. Someone from the travel group I am a part of on Facebook travelled to Kenya from the USA for under $500 including flight and accommodation. One deal that still haunts, for not taking it last year was a flight to Brazil for £182 return!!! Yes, I still cry every night for missing out on that deal. Other sites include Flyonous.com in addition to your Expedia, Flight Scanner, and Momondo. If you can't wait for deals then bear in mind which days you travel, as some days cost more than others. Wednesday and Sundays, are apparently the cheap days to fly on. Also take advantage of flights with stopovers. If your flight has a stopover this is an opportunity to get a taste of a new city without investing too much time or money in it. If you like it you can come back for longer. Also consider going directly to airlines like Norwegian airlines, Icelandic airline as they do flights between Europe and USA for under $100. That's a steal if you are in the Euro/Pound zone. Also, search the low budget airlines where you are. I cannot stand RyanAir, and each time I say to myself, "Never again Bee". They are like a drug with those deals making me ache just for one last hit. Did I also mention that the same flight to Copenhagen I booked for £10 each way, I found a week later for £2! Yep, so how can one travel addict resist?! I think I need rehab, seriously. The more you save on flights and accommodation the more you get to splurge on maybe a little shopping combined with your exploring or spending on culinary experiences, theatre experience or whatever your vice is.

10. See Things For Your Self - It's Better To See Something Once Than To Hear About It A Thousand Times


There is no harm in hearing about something a thousand times, but one must go and experience it for themselves. I love reading about people's experiences of a destination, their tips on saving money, to the best and easiest ways to get to a particular place. Hence this post on how I afford to travel for next to nothing, which not only gives you an insight into how I Travel but how you too, can save money on travel. We are only in the middle of that year and I have already been to Germany, Denmark, India and Greece all with the above tips I have mentioned. That's 4 countries and 7 cities in that last 6 months alone. Some of the sites for my source of wanderlust inspiration as well as learning from their experience or mistakes; OneikaTheTraveller who has been to 66 countries so far, Adventurous Kate for her solo travels as well as featuring other travellers for more travel inspired tales, join  Facebook groups with liked minded travellers who come with a wealth of travel information from every corner of the globe. Groups like Nomadness Tribe with thousands who have been to each country on the planet, imagine the travel knowledge at your disposal. Bloggers like ThePointsGuy, TheFrugalTravelGuy will take you about rewards schemes and travel deals that will have you travelling for without going broke, as well as many other bloggers out there who can give you personal accounts for destinations that you have in mind. That way you will have information on the cheaps form of transport. The best routes to the place you should visit that you wouldn't have otherwise considered.


Another Tip: MImy quest to limit my 10 top travel tips and hacks to just 10, I  nearly forgot to mention was travelling in the off-peak season. I have found November to be one of the cheapest times to travel too. As the kids go back to school and folks are saving for Christmas shopping and travelling back to families in December, there are plenty of tickets at crazy prices around that time so you are more likely to find a bargain for both flights and hotels during this time.

I will be sharing pictures of my travels using the above travel hacks. You can follow along on Facebook/Instagram via the hashtags #AroundTheWorldWithBee. 

If there are other travel tips that you  live by please share in the comments below.




Pin for later







13 comments:

  1. Awesome tips. Love #6: be an opportunist. So many cool things can pop up along the way, if you keep an open mind! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great suggestions! I always say I'd much rather have an experience than a material item (necessities excluded, of course). You can definitely get some great deals if you're flexible on where and when you go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely, also being flexible means being open to any other place which means more travels :D

      Delete
  3. Some really good tips here. I will definitely check out that secretflying site. I also like the idea of making refundable hotel reservations (which you can also do on sites like hotels.com and expedia) and canceling when you find a better deal. I WILL mention that not everyone is lucky enough to have a job with travel opportunities that allow them to accumulate beaucoup rewards points. I do believe in leveraging loyalty programs from airlines, hotels and credit cards, but many people have to spend their own money to earn those points in the first place. Also, sometimes when you have a business trip you have to work for the entire trip and don't really get a chance to see the area you're visiting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally get that not everyone has a job that has travelling along side it but there are many people who have earned points from creditcards so that also gives you an opportunity to earn points that allow you to travel simply with normal use of your card.

      Delete
  4. I always get asked how I can afford to travel so much and the honest answer is that I make it a priority. I usually skip out on things like haircuts and so on if it means I can save money towards travelling. I also find that now my blog is my work, I find a lot of work opportunities too that make it cheaper. These are some great tips! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really has to be a priority. I actually do my own hair and cant remember the last time I went to a salon so that definitely contributes to having more ££ to spend on travel.

      Delete
  5. Great article! Nowadays with so many deals on flights it is very easy for someone to travel. When I see deals like this and I can't go I cry for a month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha yep, that's me, still shedding tears for some of the flight deals I have missed. I swear some of these deals are going to make me go crazy as I either miss it or I cant travel when the deal is valid.

      Delete
  6. Great list! Experiences are so valuable even though we really just want those material things. Having two boys i will admit i struggle with this ... No they don't need another $10 toy ... i need to remember that every-time i see a lego set on sale!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha totally understandable. Maybe instead of a toy take them on trips and they dont have to be expensive either. I have a post on camping(or glamping if you rent yurts) in the English countryside so maybe you can find something similar where you are. These are also an inexpensive ways to get a break, plus I am sure your boys would love the mini adventure! :D

      The post can be found here if you want an idea.. : http://www.itsallbee.com/2014/09/yurts-living-countryside-hideaways.html

      Delete
  7. Fantastic tips! I loved all the tips as a traveler and wish I could make all these ideas possible for mySan francisco city tour . Thanks a lot for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.