5 July 2014

Visual Diary | Discover Hong Kong

Hong Kong: Lunch Date at Ritz Carlton

Have you ever been some where that gave you an ever lasting feeling of joy each time you thing about it or when you hear someone mention the place? Well, Hong Kong gives me those goose bumps each time I think about it. My trip to Hong Kong came about at a time when things just seem to have somehow just clicked. I some how felt at peace with things, achieved some weird and wonderful life balance and abundantly joyful - it's that emotion that is evoked when I think about how I was feeling while I was there and have since attached it to this beautiful city. I had just moved back to London from a stint in Hampshire, I was climbing, happily and forever indulging in endless talks of cool and on-trend techy stuff at work. Embarking on a solo trip to Hong Kong whilst in a state of euphoria made everything I experienced in the city feel that much more special a little surreal. Racing around the airport at 2am when I arrived, next morning I woke up at the Marriott to a view of Victoria Harbour complete with emerald waters, ferries and speed boards bopping up and down the coastline as if for my own amusement.

I  had a few days of solo exploring before my diary and one of my friend's surprisingly synced while he was travelling around on business in China with his dad, so obviously that warranted an evening of exploring before they took off a day later. Not long after they left was it time to take a break from being a tourist and attend to the reason of my visit in this beautiful city of lights. Leaving Hong Kong island and crossing over to Kowloon  to attend my friend's wedding. Watching two lovely people tie the knot is enough to make even the toughest explorers shed a tear or two.

Leaving the couple to enjoy bridal bliss I had a few more days of soloing and took to explore more of Kowloon. Hong Kong consists of four sections, Kowloon, Hong Kong Island, New Territories and Outlying Islands, which comprise of 234 islands. I was staying on Hong Kong Island and traveled between HK island and Kowloon via the star ferry and at HK $2.50, a nifty way to cross over, take in the Harbour sights, all without breaking the bank as the sea breeze cools you down in the city's hot season. Hong Kong is synonymous with shopping so of course I was not going to leave without exploring the malls taking refuge in gleaming landscapes of skyscrapers. If you want to escape the malls there are many a market to practice your haggling skills, one popular destination for this activity is the ladies market in Mong Kok in Kowloon West. Hong Kong is another city that is a traveller's dream as you have the best of both worlds. You can mingle in the densely populated city that offers a rich collection of cuisines to tantalize your taste buds with foods from all over the world while you take in the sights. If you tire of the concrete jungle you can head to the stunning Stanley Beaches or head for the hills for an adventurous hike in mountains on Lantau Island as well as check out the famous Big Buddha(post to come!)

Below is a visual diary of my fortnight spent discovering Hong Kong...

Hong Kong: Lunch Date at Ritz Carlton
Hong Kong: Lunch Date at Ritz Carlton
Hong Kong: Lunch Date at Ritz Carlton
Hong Kong: Lunch Date at Ritz Carlton
Hong Kong: Lunch Date at Ritz Carlton
Hong Kong: Lunch Date at Ritz Carlton
Hong Kong: Lunch Date at Ritz Carlton
Hong Kong: Lunch Date at Ritz Carlton
Hong Kong: Lunch Date at Ritz Carlton - Kowloon
Visual Diary | Discover Hong Kong - Mong KOK Ladies Market
Visual Diary | Discover Hong Kong - Mong Kok East Station Ladies Market
Visual Diary | Discover Hong Kong - Mong Kok East Station


Like This Post? Share or Pin For Later


49 comments:

  1. What an amazing place , I have got itchy feet wanting to go travelling now from looking at your photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha get on that plane and relieve those feet.

      Delete
  2. Hong Kong looks amazing, it's never really somewhere I've thought of traveling too but your photos making it look like it be worth it :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its beautiful! I am sure you would enjoy it.

      Delete
  3. Hong Kong looks so cool! I love your pictures. The dog with the glasses!! :) And I am glad to see Hong Kong is so proudly promoting safe sex! Lol :) I have friends who live there and i would like to go one day. I like exploring cities. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha that dog was at the ladies market in Mong Kok. I was so scared but got the picture and sped off lol

      Delete
  4. Beautiful pictures!! I've heard so many great things about Hong Kong but never saw so many great pictures in one post! They definitely make me want to visit Hong Kong although I've never been to Asia before....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure you would love it. Mostly English spoke so you wont have to worry about translation like much of China. Start practicing your haggling skills for the markets :D

      Delete
  5. These are amazing pictures! everytime i go to Hong Kong, it's only for a day or two and never enough time to sight see. i've definitely never been to a few of the places you showed here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will have too check out Stanley bay, Lantau Island if you havent already been :D

      Delete
  6. Nice photos! When were you there? It looks like you had great weather for the city views! What's the story behind the dog with glasses?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its been a while not these are about a year+ old, just never got the chance to post them.

      Delete
    2. The dog was at the ladies market, when I saw the glasses and the ring around the mouth I just had to take a picture(and ran off as I was scared of getting bitten.)

      Delete
  7. Great visual tour! I may have gained a kilo just looking at that dessert shot on my screen. I've always wanted to go to HK and this post just affirms that desire further.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I read somewhere the calories consumed on holiday dont add any inches to the waist line so you will be fine :P

      Delete
  8. I am a HUGE fan of your photography and this post is a stella example of why. What colours! Thanks a bunch for joining us for #SundayTraveler again this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Its always a pleasure, thanks for hosting.

      Delete
  9. Whoa!! beautiful photos! I hope I can visit HK one day!! However it is always foggy, isn't it? I have that impression..
    XX

    debsbug.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not really foggy at all. It can get hazy when really hot though.

      Delete
  10. Really want to visit HK someday!
    Emilie
    http://mylittlefashiondiary.net

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous photos! Hong Kong has never really been on my radar, but I keep hearing such great things about it. It looks like an interesting place to visit based on your pics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yeah you should definitely check it out. Its really beautiful.

      Delete
  12. Amazing photos! The dog with the sunnies, haha!

    Jules x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks great and sounds like you really fell in love with Hong Kong and I'd love to visit some day. I think I feel a similar way about Paris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did! Paris is definitely another city I need to visit more as its only a stones throw from London via Kings X

      Delete
  14. Lovely photos! It always surprises me to think of HK having beaches and isolated islands. I always think of it being a mass of people. I'm going in a couple of months and I can't wait to explore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! I would love another visit. I am sure you will love it. Cant wait to hear what you think of it.

      Delete
  15. Hong Kong's skyline is gorgeous. The place is buzzling with people, and that cute dog with glasses - ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a stunning place. Both the densely built city and the coastal areas too.

      Delete
  16. Wow, what a diversity! I imagine one can spend months there just walking the streets and take in the sights and the smells!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, one could definitely spend months exploring this beautiful country but I only had a fortnight :(

      Delete
  17. I would looooove to go to Hong Kong one day- most people seem to love it! I like how so many of your photos show the high-tech digital side and then theres a photo of an older-style boat with the orange sails...such a neat diversity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is quite diverse, so beautiful! You must visit someday.

      Delete
  18. Nice pictures! I've never been to Hong Kong but hope to travel there one day.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Seeing these pictures, it brings back amazing memories from HK! What a lovely city!
    http://fashion-soup.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isnt it just! I loved every part of it. Cant wait to visit again.

      Delete
  20. I love your pictures. What a city.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've always wanted to go to Hong Kong! Your pictures make me want to go even more.
    www.welcometoerinsworld.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get that ticket and visit Erin! I am sure you will love it. Whether you want shopping, beaches, or serene surroundings, HK has it all!

      Delete
  22. Fantastic pics, loving the contrast between the bustling city and beautiful beaches. Hong Kong is definitely now on my radar :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You should definitely visit. Such a beautiful city.

      Delete
  23. I loved Hong Kong so much, so alien and so familiar at the same time! That view of the famous waterfront straight from your hotel room must have been amazing though! Wish I had that. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! That view really just speaks for itself doesnt it? I arrived early in the morning and went straight to bed, when I woke up I was beside myself with the score of such a lovely room! Wish I could go back :D

      Delete
  24. BEAUTIFUL pics!! This really makes me want to visit Hong Kong!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love this post! Thank you for sharing your trip - will definitely add Hong Kong to my list of places to visit! P.S - love the print of the top you're wearing!!
    xo Kat
    www.withlovefromkat.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kat. I am sure you will love HK when you visit.

      Delete
  26. Can really relate to your feelings about HK! I didn't get to spend much time there (just a couple extended layovers), but I loved the place instantly as well. The lights, the bustle, the food, the skyline—the whole city is just glorious. Love how you captured it!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.