14 July 2015

Copenhagen | The Black Diamond



It's possible that I may have  been an architect in my previous life because as much as I love travel for the people aspect, in getting to mingle with locals and getting to know local traditions, architecture is another draw for me. Whether I am in a foreign city or quietly spinning at the bottom of London's amazing  and continuously changing skyline to capture the beautiful marvels in today's concrete jungles. The beauty of architectural creations is undeniable.

On my trip to Copenhagen a few weeks ago, in addition to visiting places like The Marble Church, Amelienborg Palace and the Little Mermaid, the Black Diamond in Copenhagen was towards the top in my list of Top Things To Do In Copenhagen. The Black Diamond, clad in black granite known as Absolute Black was imported from Zimbabwe, then cut and polish in Italy before ending up on what is now the Black Diamond. A modern and striking building, the granite is known to sparkles as the reflection of the water on the edge of the canal, where the build lies reflects the marble and glass exterior. It's a modern extension to an old Royal Danish Library that you can also access through the new building.

After wondering around the city and thinking that I had all the time in the world, I arrive at the library just 5 minutes after they closed the escalators to the upper flows that give impeccable views onto the canals towards Christianshavn. They shut the upper floors to the public at 7pm although the place is still open so you can still mingle and enjoy the beautiful interior of the building. Other than just functioning as a library, the other draws to this building is the Jewish Museum, Per Kirkbey's impressive 200 square meter painting on the ceiling of the Black Diamond(you can see part of it in the shots below), a concert and theatre hall with 600 seats and my favourite; National Museum of Photography, of course!

I am not  sure whether the reasons have anything to do with diamonds being a girl's best friend, but, during bright summery days expect the steps outside the library to be filled with people chattering away to a drink or two from the cafes and restaurants within the library. Below are  some shots from my explorations of the nukes and crannies of the building. If you want to get to the top make sure you check the days and times that is open to the public. There are also guided tours details of which can be found on the library's page here.

Taken on my  phone while cruising the canals in the rain.

So you never miss a post, be sure to follow me on 

12 comments:

  1. What fabulous architecture! An amazing building.
    Amber
    http://www.sweetwordsprettypictures.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always wanted to visit this city, thanks for sharing all these amazing pictures!
    Glamoury Armory Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such an amazing location! I have to come here!

    - Liam | http://www.talesofacavalier.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see why you found this building attractive. I never thought I was a big fan of modern architecture, but I think I am actually. And I am really intrigued by the mixture of modernity and old architecture, even in cities like Venice :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really impressive architecture! I dont think I was an architect in my previous life, but I like this building too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning. It's crazy to think just how much effort goes into the things most of us never even think of. The Black Diamond has a very unique look & story to it. :]

    // ▲ itsCarmen.com ▲

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. Most people would just walk by it without knowing about all the intricate details.

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous photos! The building looks absolutely gorgeous!
    WritingMonique

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been to Copenhagen a few times and never knew what this gorgeous building was. Exquisite photos Bee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Its definitely one to add to the list on your next visit of Copenhagen.

      Delete
  9. This is a stunning example of modern architecture which doesn't try to replicate what went before and yet it is still considerate of the city it sit it. I love how it reflects back the old within the new.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Also, search all possible sources to know your diamond's worth before you finally sell it; after all, it is a precious good and not something customary as old furniture or a worn out shirt.
    diamond value calculator

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.