29 June 2014

Dream Trip Challenge - Planning A Safari Adventure

Credit


With the summer coming, its that time of year when people plan for the holidays, whether beach holidays, city escapes, adventurous trips and in my case a safari trip. I have been dreaming about this trip for far too long. It's OFFICAL! I am off to Zambia, Nambia, Zimbabwe and Botswana. Although not necessarily that order. I am all booked and ready to roll this September. Like many, booking such a trip you always wonder how you are going to get there once you land, what to expect, and more importantly, where you are going to stay. The fun is all in the planning.

With the excitement of planning for the upcoming adventure and dream trip, and the fact that my trip spans many countries...in my excitement I received a challenge from IHG on how I would spend a million points. On travel of course!  I travel a lot for work so I usually accumilate a lot of points which I can spend on spa day, gifts but my points are happily and joyfully blown on travel. Like you have to ask a travel addict twice. My trips to Germany, Italy and Hong Kong(posting coming soon) have partly and some times wholly funded by my points. My upcoming trip to Scotland is partly funded by my points from rewards schemes. So what would you do if you were rewarded with a million points? Here is a shortened run down of how I would blow one million points on my upcoming adventure.

Zambia and Zimbabwe

Visit the beautiful markets of Lusaka(my hometown) and soak up culture on home turf before heading to Livingstone for one of nature's own beautiful sights at the Victoria Falls. This visit will also inclusive of a city stay in the capital  before moving on to Livingstone for a few days. So I hope to fully take in the surroundings and hopefully spend points at the lodge with access to some of the safari animals. What would be better than watching the sun come up or go down while elephants, zebras or giraffes roam the compound? 


Dream Trip Challenge - Planning A Safari Adventure zambia
Credit
Botswana

Making use of car rental points, we will be driving to Botswana from Livingstone, having passed through Zimbabwe for a glimpse of the Victoria offs from our neighbour's side. It will be more national parks in Botswana, safaris, local markets and more chilling in the wilderness and watching the millions of stars that blanket the land while illuminating the beautiful animals and their silhouette against the night sky. We will still be opting for a place close to the national parks.

An Okavango safari lodge Dream Trip Challenge - Planning A Safari Adventure
Credit
Okavango lioness and her cub
Credit

Namibia

I have been wanting to visit Namibia for such a long time now. Mainly visit the beautiful sand dunes and of course no trip is complete without a little adventure. I look forward to taking to the dunes for sandboarding! This will be my first trip to Namibia so if you have been to Namibia, please let me know if you have any tips or share any companies that have reasonable rates for tours to the sand dunes or sand boarding activities.

sandboarding namibia adventure
Credit

Passing on the Challenge

So if you had a million points to spend on travel, day experiences, spas... How would you spend your million points? To make the challenge even more fun, you only get 30 seconds to make your choice and the bouns is that you might be one of the people chosen to spend these points on your dream destination.


37 comments:

  1. Sand boarding is something I have always wanted to do! Looks like you have a lot of fun lined up for you, I can't wait to see how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats one part of this trip that I am looking forward most in addition to ogling at the Vic falls :)

      Delete
  2. Ohhhhh now this is a damn good use of dollars. If I had it to spare I'd give it to you! Thanks for linking up with us to #SundayTraveler again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh arent you nice! In that case I definitely hope you win the points :)

      Delete
  3. If I had to use that many points to use, I would take them with me to New Zealand, a country I have been wanting to visit for a long time.

    Surfing on the sand dunes in Austria sounds awesome. That is something that I definitely would be interested in doing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its bloody miles away but you are right one that is worth a visit.

      Delete
  4. What would I do with a million points? A trip to the Mt.Everest base camp for a start ...

    Otherwise, have a great adventure in Southern Africa.

    Rachel@safari254

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Everest?! A woman after my own heart, I love a good challenge too...but in this case I will watch you from the villages at the base camp :P

      Delete
  5. I would love to go on a Safari, but all the animals would scare me I think! That sandboarding is insane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you respect them and put enough space between you, you will be fine as they are not things to pet.

      Delete
  6. Sandboarding sounds like lots of fun. I would definitely use some points to do that myself. As for the rest, foodie holidays in San Sebastian would be my choice, or sailing anywhere warm. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. San Sebastian sounds a treat! Definitely with you on somewhere warm as the summer weather in London is a fraud at the moment. Its been raining like no one's business lately :(

      Delete
  7. Australia for us, I last visited as a young backpacker but my 4year old wants to travel round in a campervan. Travel through a child's eyes is a even more amazing! Enjoy your safari, what a dream trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never been to Australia but I am hoping to go in January if I can save up enough by then.

      Delete
  8. WOW! I would love to visit all four! When we were in South Africa a few years ago, I heard so many amazing things about Botswana especially! Enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeap I have been wanting to visit home for some years now but didnt want to go if I couldnt drop by on both Namibia and Botswana so I am super excited!

      Delete
  9. Bee, I am really looking forward to reading about the African adventure you are planning. This is one part of the world which absolutely fascinates me--I visited Kenya a long time ago, and it really made a long-lasting impression on me (Kensington Lodge, Treetops). I see Dave Cole also visited Africa recently, and your posts will be a huge motivation for me to go. Hope to see many pictures and beautiful stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha no pressure, right? The Kennsington Treetops sounds interesting. I am super excited to be going as its been so long since I have been back home so extra extra special to see how things have changed. I will be sure to post pictures :)

      Delete
  10. I love safari and have been on many. Namibia was one of the best experiences also because I love the desert. I would go to Botswana if I had a lot of points to use.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Antarctica for me....Always wanted to go but I would prefer sailing on a sailboat and not an organized tour or cruise...But your choices are pretty tempting too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so jealous of you right now, wish I could hop on a plane and travel right now...but if I has a million points it will be exploring South America for me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for this post! Your blog is naturally gorgeous and inspiring. x
    http://louiseplace.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Please take me back to Southern Africa with you! I left Namibia six months ago and am dying to go back. Such a beautiful country!

    In other news, I've just nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award. Find out more about it at the link below:
    http://www.bisbocciabroad.com/2014/07/blogger-awards-part-1-versatile-blogger.html#.U7LYzbvLhXA

    Happy travels!

    Erika

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wowww!! I spent two months in Botswana as a kid. I have vague memories, and I would LOVE to go back. We visited Zimbabwe and South Africa as well. I'm going to look forward to rekindling some old memories with your upcoming posts :)
    And with a million points... I think I'd go to Iceland. Dream destination for the longest time now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Same here it will be interesting to see how its changed :)

      Delete
  16. Sounds like you have an excellent trip planned! :-) I would love to visit Africa!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ahh I'm so excited for your African adventures! A safari is high on my priority list- always wanted to take my mom since it's her travel dream so I think that would be how I spent my million points!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then definitely check out the link as you never know, you might be taking your mom on a dream holiday :)

      Delete
  18. What a great thing to do with winning points! Such a good idea. I'd probably do something similar.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great idea for using points! If I had a ton of points to blow, I'd probably island hop in the South Pacific since that would be expensive to do otherwise. I might even pamper myself by staying in a luxury bungalow over the water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds nice! Then check out the link and see if you can cut costs on those plans as they will be giving 1m points to one person :)

      Delete
  20. I love using my points and miles. I don't think I'd survive without them! What a wonderful journey you have in store! Thank you for the great #SundayTraveler piece. - Heather, Life of a Traveling Navy Wife

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell me about it! They certainly help keep the costs down dont they. This is all on me as I have used up all my points :( I cant wait though.

      Delete
  21. Jealous! Some of my most memorable holidays have been to game reserves. Pity you aren't going to South Africa though - there are some great ones there. Enjoy!

    www.stephstrays.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I wanted to go to SA too but I will just be too short on time...

      Delete
  22. Wow that looks like an amazing time!! Beautiful pics!

    XX
    www.floortjeloves.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Jealous, that would be so cool!

    http://www.thetouristoflife.com

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.