2 March 2014

Kölner Dom | Cologne Catherdral

Kölner Dom | Cologne Catherdral

Milan has the Duomo di Milano, Barcelona has Gaudi's cathedral. Cologne has also been holding its cards close to its heart for it has the Kolner Dome. Awe inspiring and just magnificent. Stand in front of it and you get a sudden case of "honey I shrunk the kids" as its just huge! So huge in some parts it looks as though its heading for the heavens as parts of it disappear into the clouds on foggy days. Cologne Cathedral can be seen from almost any point in the city. In fact we were able to see it from the motor way miles and miles away driving into Cologne from Dusseldorf.

I always find that with each of the cathedrals that I have visited if there is quite an elaborate design in the architecture on the outside of the cathedrals its always understated on the inside and the opposite if its very detailed on the inside. That is exactly how I have found some of the Cathedrals I have seen in Italy, Croatia and Germany. Kolner Dome is very understated on the inside and its amazing how a building is still standing since the foundations were laid in 1248 to celebrate the Assumption of the Virgin Mary. The cathedral has so much rich history and has managed to survive world war bombings. It still has beautiful stained glass windows and one of them still in its original position dating back to 1260. There is also a shrine of the Three Holy Kings(St Ursula and St Geron along with their fellow martyrs) weighing 300kg.

Having gone inside and looked around I had totally forgot the height of the church when I mistakenly convinced my friend to go up the tower at the very top. Thank the Lord Jesus I was sensible and wore flats because I would have been cursing myself taking on the 533 steps to get to the very top up some spirally and very narrow stairs that left my legs feeling far more wobblier than jelly, but what made up for it were the views from the top. Also knowing that I was working the glutes made the torturous trip a little more bearable - who says you cannot exercise while on holiday? The weather wasn't that great but you could still see for miles. The climb up also gives you access to the bell chambers which are also a ridiculous size that I wonder how they got those things up there when they didn't have modern cranes(I guess you can also ask the same for the pyramids - a toast to a beautiful minds of those that have come before us). One of the bells is apparently the largest freely swinging church bell in the world and weighs 24 tonnes! There is also a treasury on site which has relics going back to the 4th Century including holy relics.

This is definitely another city in Germany other than popular cities like Berlin that you need to see and of course the lovely Dusseldorf. Climbing up the towers of the church will only cost you 3 Euros. Is that all I hear you ask? Yes! Because you will work your little legs off for the rest! A word to the wise, don't turn up 6 inch heels like one lady I spotted, you will be very very sorry and possibly in tears. It's like going up the London Shard in high heels or climbing the Eiffel Tower in crazy heels. Plain mad!

Kölner Dom | Cologne Catherdral

Kölner Dom | Cologne Catherdral

Kölner Dom | Cologne Catherdral




 Kölner Dom | Cologne Catherdral


Kölner Dom | Cologne Catherdral




Kölner Dom | Cologne Catherdral




Kölner Dom | Cologne Catherdral









  










This is part of the #SundayTraveler blog hop hosted by Chasingthedonkey, where you can read up on stories, advice and travel recommendations and be inspired for your next venture.


39 comments:

  1. 533 steps to the top of the tower... wow, kudos for climbing it! Gorgeous photos - this was a real virtual tour of Cologne Cathedral

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great post, we live in Bonn 15 mins south of Cologe and Love the Dome such an amazing place ~ you got some great photos ~ which I know is really hard becasue of its Massive size! I think your right so many people go to Munich, & Berlin but often miss Cologne! Thanks for Sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stacy. It is truly a sight. Making picture taking a bit tricky.

      Delete
  3. Lovely shots of the Dom - that bright door is beautiful. I have enjoyed many pfiffs of kolsch but never in the vicinity of this landmark - definitely on my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely have to see it. Just be prepared for the stairs!

      Delete
  4. Wow stunning photography.The place looks beautiful. definitely worth a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay I am glad it was YOU who climbed all the way up so I could see it :) The photos are so dark and mysterious looking, I love that. Big thanks for linking up with us again for #SundayTraveler!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I although with each step I was wondering why I was putting myself through that kind or pain :O

      Delete
  6. wow- beautiful pictures! i really want to visit Koln one day. you are brave going up all that way- i went up the towers in la sagrada, and got really scared. i hate heights!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a stop before you a get to the top of the towers so you can just do a portion of it. There arent that many windows in the narrow stairs so you wouldnt be looking too much at the height you are climbing.

      Delete
  7. looks gorgeous great photography!i need to visit

    www.mybubbaandme.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a beautiful place , such stunning pics too x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful post and photos! I love European cathedrals and this one is such a beauty. I have seen a few pictures of this cathedral from the outside but this is the first I've seen of its beautiful interior. Those stained glass windows are amazing. Thanks for climbing all those steps so we can enjoy your pictures. Yet, another reason to go back to Germany and see this gem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely. Its a truly a sight to have your own eyes on :D

      Delete
  10. :)))) 533 steps indeed! When I got up I thought I would have a heart attack! :D Just came from Koln last night and this post made me remember my trip. I will soon write about it also ;) Maybe you will also like to check my blog: http://twistedredladybug.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please let me know when your post is up. Would love to have a read.

      Delete
  11. That first photo looking straight up really emphasizes how tall this cathedral is. Lovely stained glass and statues, too. When I was a little kid going to church in Texas, I used to wonder why my church didn't look like a grand European cathedral. Our elevator in our building goes out every few months, and I have grown accustomed to climbing up and down 500 steps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. I guess if you 500 steps frequently then this cathedral would be a breeze for you.

      Delete
  12. Cathedrals like this are so awe inspiring. I find it incredible that they were built beofre any machines or cranes etc and have stood the test of time so well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post and photos! The Cologne Dom is definitely one of the most amazing churches in all of Europe. I made the climb a few years ago and it was definitely worth every step. Thanks for sharing and safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  14. 533 steps to the top - wow!
    The Cologne cathedral - amazing how the builders were able to come up with such magnificent buildings.

    Rachel@safari254

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! This is awesome! I hope I will be able to visit this Cathedral one day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great photos! I love the Cologne Cathedral... I think I must have been the only person to ever arrive at the station and not see it. I realised my mistake the next day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait, you meant the station that's literally next to the Cathedral? Hehehe Ok I shouldnt laugh but maybe encourage a second visit? I would love to see more Cologne. Wouldnt mind a second trip.

      Delete
  17. I must say that I was blown away by the beautiful photos in your post!! I was a trained photographer who doesn't practice but I do appreciate and have keen eyes for excellent photographs like yours. Well done and I would love to follow your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I really appreciate that. I am glad you are enjoying the photography. I will continue to try and bring more of that :D

      Delete
  18. I was just there a few weeks ago! And you're right, those stairs were awful. But I think what was worse is that it was a constant spiral with no place to really rest. We climbed the Duomo in Firenze last summer, and at least that climb was varied. I felt like I might get sick from the twirly steps in Koeln!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. Its worst when there is no resting point and if you stop you feel as if you holding people up and then there are people also coming down on the same spiral of stair...sheesh!

      Delete
  19. Sooooo I love these photos!! Thanks for linking up to the #SundayTraveler :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow... What a building, and what fantastic pictures! We were in Koln last Christmas on our drive back to the UK, and do you know what it was so cold we didn't quite make it to the cathedral! I so wish we had now. Will just have to go back! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep you definitely need to head back there. Just prepare for the stairs ;)

      Delete
  21. I’ve lately began a blog, the data you provide on this site has helped me tremendously. Thank you for your whole time & work.http://www.bestcologneformens.com/

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.