2 September 2014

Travel & Fitness | Clever Ways To Stay Healthy On The Road

Travel & Fitness | Clever Ways To Stay Healthy On The Road

Perhaps the folks at Currys spotted some of my home-made fruit juice concoctions on my Instagram because I was invited to a nutritional event a few weeks back.  As much as I love exploring I also love the joy that comes with tasting new food in the places that I explore. Like that gorgeous Scottish Lamb Wellington at the Secret Garden with full-on dangerously delicious dessert or that tour that had me eating my way through London and left the hips in fear of what sort work out would be in order to work it off. Also throw in how my friend and I demolished a cheese cake platter in Berlin's Barcomi. I have tried to make myself believe that calories consumed whilst on holiday or weekend getaways don't actually stick but I tell you, the hips don't lie!


So in addition to searching for hotels that have free wi-fi, free breakfast, are in a safe area or in an area with easy access to sights, another item that has been on my list, is making sure that there is a gym on hand to melt off all those calories from those tasty little delights that are so unique to the area you are visiting. It would be murder to just say no to that wine list that is so rich in flavours that you just have to have another glass to avoid wasting the region's precious treasures or that little local speciality pastry that tempts your sweet tooth leaving you weak in the knees. See how hard it is to resist! So what does one do when your hotel doesn't offer up views of the Hong Kong Habour as you pretend to be Hussein Bolt while working through the miles on a treadmill? You are in luck as I have some options for you! These are also great even when not travelling.


Whether its a long trip or short getaway if it doesn't involve a lot of walking then I always have a back up plan. By way of my jump rope. All you need is a good pair of trainers, a  tee and some light shorts, leggings or whatever you are comfortable getting your sweat on! Jump rope is great for cardio and easy to travel with for those workouts you can easily sneak in, in the local a park, hotel courtyard or roof top in some cases. You can also find a nice bench to do press ups, leg lifts, squats that leave you with a nice perky touche. 

Having owned several juicers in the last few years as I find juicing to be an easy way to get your five a day but also combining that with with veggies to really reap the benefits. So I was in good company at the Currys event that saw me and a few bloggers head over to Urban Kings in Kings Cross for the CurrysIntroJuicing evening of health and nutrition. Featuring a nutritional talk, together with a HITT(High Intensity Interval Training) class. This form of exercises will have you sweating in minutes and perhaps have you scoping out where the nearest exit is in the gym is. I tell you what though, its the business! You can burn a lot of calories in a short amount of time thus eliminating the need to be in the gym longer than is necessary. I tend of have one or 2 sessions a week when I can but more importantly is that I can can replicate some of these exercise in in your hotel room or in the park while travelling or at home.

It was great to have Derry Temple at Urban Kings gave a talk about nutrition and how to combine juicing with addition of proteins for a healthy lifestyle as well as plenty of HIIT moves to take away. The event also included a juice-making marathon among bloggers using Philips juicers that were spread across the room to make recovery juices ready for when we crawled out of the tough workout that would to scare the calories into major melt down. It was a fun evening meeting fellow bloggers, getting nutritional advice and burning off calories while competing to complete a circuit before another team of bloggers did. You can read more about the event  on the Currys websiteBelow are some of the pictures from the event, but you can also check out the twitter feed from other bloggers via hashtag the #CurrysIntroJuicing. 

So how do you stay fit while travelling?...

....Or better yet if you are into juicing tag me with the #CurrysIntroJuicing hashtag when you post on twitter or Instagram so I can steal leverage from your juice recipes.  

Travel & Fitness | Clever Ways To Stay Healthy On The Road #currysIntroJuicing
Travel & Fitness | Clever Ways To Stay Healthy On The Road Running Training
Juicing - Juice Fast - #CurrysIntrojuicing
Credit - Currys/JoeBlogs

6 comments:

  1. Every time I go travelling, I lose about 10-15 LBS - it's definitely all of that movement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh?! Maybe we should have a chat about your fitness routine if you are dropping all that weight while travelling. I think I may have to prescribe a few more local eateries for you :P

      Delete
  2. I am also an avid juicer and fitness lover. When I travel though, I usually come back the same! I think the excess in food plus the excess in daily movement really cancels each other out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that's not too bad if they cancel themselves out, just goes to show that being an explorer or traveller can be good for your health and your soul :D

      Delete
  3. I tend to lose weight when I travel and I typically don't include workouts in my plans. That may change, however, as I do love your jump rope idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See! All that exploring is good for your health if you can also lose a few pounds too. Next time I have a chat with the doctor about what exercise I am doing I will be sure to provide my passport stamps as proof of my active lifestyle :D

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.