28 August 2014

The Witchery By The Castle | Combine Culture With Fine Dining

The Witchery by the Castle

My weekend escape to Edinburgh was filled with long walks around a town that oozes atmosphere and sophistication in its mystery from the history its inherited. Edinburgh like any popular city will have a ton of eating options from your usual globalised eatery brands to the uniquely local. I love a unique dinning experience and have sometimes travelled miles just for the indulgence. Check out my dinning experience on Spitbank Fort -  a man-made island on the Solent.   Living in London, one of the world's most popular cities, when it comes to food, you can get pretty much anything. This applies to Edinburgh too. On this occasion I didn't want the usual eatery I could find any and everywhere. I had my eyes firmly locked on one place. I guess you can say I was bewitched from the moment I found out about it.


You may have have seen me post a sneak peek of The Witchery by the Castle on my Facebook. Situated in in the heart of the Royal Mile, with the Edinburgh Castle for its neighbour. It's no surprise the likes of Andrew Lloyd Webber and Sir Cameron Macintosh, two gurus from the theatre industry have frequented the legendary food served up in The Witchery's Secret Garden restaurant. Accessed via a tiny passageway leading to a small courtyard. It's an escape from the busy streets on the Royal Mile that perch on its doorstep. The Secret Garden holds on to its charm long after its opening in 1989. You enter via a pulpit reception and decend the stone stairs that reveals a secluded terrace.  Entirely lit by candles, dark wood paneling, beamed ceiling, luxurious tables beautifully decorated with flowers and candles creating the perfect ambience for a magical and romantic setting.

The Secret Garden allows you take a break from immersing yourself in Scottish history and culture to see another side of the city through its food! Impeccable food locally sourced and you can tell its cooked with love because it tastes so damn good.  If you are a foodie then this is definitely a spot you have to stop by. My personal recommendation; The Lamb Wellington, a pastry baked lamb loin stuffed with wild mushroom and chicken mousse wrapped in Seranno ham. Smoked aubergine pureĆ©, served up with spring greens is just party central in the mouth! It was so good I wanted a second helping but at £60, I thought I would leave room for the dessert that promised to have me licking the plate too. There is also a set menu as well that wont have your bank manager calling to check if all your marbles are still in tact. I was also brave enough to try the Haggis - forgetting for a moment what its really made of. The food was flavourful with fine wine from a weighty book of world class wines. The service is great, but because it's so popular the tables have a 2 hour limit. 

Though not the most inexpensive of places, if you are in the city and need a real treat or you want to take your partner for a special dinning experience this is the place to be. That goes for the ladies too, you can take your boyfriend or hubster instead of waiting for them to do it. It is 2014 after all! Your pocket may not thank me, but your taste buds will be doing the happy happy joy joy dance, that the bill would have been worth the dance. Below are some of the shots taken while the man was in mid-bite and hypnotized by the food that he couldn't object to my Nikon lens salivating over the feast. Enjoy!

The Witchery by the Castle
The Witchery by the Castle
The Witchery by the Castle
The Witchery by the Castle
The Witchery by the Castle - Edinburgh
The Witchery by the Castle - Edinburgh
The Witchery by the Castle - Edinburgh

44 comments:

  1. Elegant place, love the ambiance - looks so relaxed and atmospheric.

    Rachel@safari254

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very relaxed and such a real treat too. Add this to your list when you visit Edinburgh.

      Delete
  2. As always beautiful photos Bee! Sounds like a fantastic place! Will have to add it to our bucket list :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely do. I am sure you will enjoy it.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful! I lived in Edinburgh but never visited this place further than the entrance. Looks very ambiant.. I'll have to research the menu and see if there is anything for veggies if I return to Edinburgh :) This would be a beautiful setting for an intimate dinner for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I am sure I spotted a few veggie options so you will be fine.

      Delete
  4. It looks like this meal was a real treat! There are wonderful close-ups here :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely that, a treat! Not a meal I can indulge in all the time :D

      Delete
  5. It just makes me hungry :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha so then get on a train/flight to Edinburgh and munch! :D

      Delete
  6. I have heard nothing but good things about the Witchery Bianca, it looks absolutely amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was! You have to visit when you are in Edinburgh next.

      Delete
  7. Totally sounds like I wont be worried to drop a few bills to be able to do the happy happy joy dance!! Thanks B, so great you linked up with us again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. I am sure you will enjoy it when you visit.

      Delete
  8. First off, its been AGES since anyone referenced Ren & Stimpy, thank you for bringing back a childhood memory. The Secret Garden looks absolutely divine. I really like the idea of a secluded oasis, as this seems to be, but 2 hours seems like a relatively short time for the plethora of food you seemed to get. The raspberry/ice cream with spun sugar looks sinful, I would love to get my hands on it! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, I am glad you enjoyed it. Yeah that 2-hour limit is a bit silly considering how long it takes to get the food to the table and the ordering....but the food its just lovely and the surroundings a treat.

      Delete
  9. I'd not heard of this place - it looks like a real escape from the bustle of the Royal Mile and the city outside! And the food looks wonderful as well :). I'll be trying it next time I'm in Edinburgh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is an escape from the bustle on the royal mile. Very quiet and just relaxed ambiance.

      Delete
  10. I have to say Bianca I'm not a fan of the food you mentioned (don't mind me, it's a misconception I have about Scottish food without ever trying it) but the descriptions you made... Now I don't know anymore lol You got me questioning myself! Sounds like a great place but I had to adjust to the two hour limit per table... Maybe it's a Portuguese thing, we eat, we drink, we talk a lot, we order some more, we eat, talk more... I'm guessing because the service is good they're not pushy if you're "slower"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah the 2 hour limit is a bit of a downer but they werent pushy as we were a bit slow and by the time the food came and when we order dessert and everything else it had gone over the 2 hours.

      Delete
  11. Well, it's a shame that when we went to Edinburgh we ate at the Frakenstein as we dont know any places.. well, this is indeed a secret garden and thank you for revealing this secret! lol! Will definitely try to go there next time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shhhh! Dont tell anyone! Haha well I think that's reason enough to head back to Edinburgh.

      Delete
  12. Man, I can't believed I missed this when I was in Scotland! It looks amazing! Love the decor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you now have a reason to go back :P

      Delete
  13. Looks fabulous - almost worth a special trip to Edinburgh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is! An excuse will for actually as Edinburgh is just beautiful.

      Delete
  14. I have yet to visit, glad to hear you loved Edinburgh though! Stunning photos too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emma, I am sure you will love it when you go.

      Delete
  15. Oh, that lamb wellington sounds so good. Based on your description and photos, the Witchery looks to be a must do for Edinburgh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was just delightful! I would so be up for another trip just to taste it again.

      Delete
  16. Oh my gosh . . . that Lamb Wellington sounds divine! I dont think I have ever had a lamb wellington before come to think of it. Your posts ALWAYS make me start drooling. It is actually unbearable sometimes. I like the way you combined the photos of the cutlery, the wine glasses, and other details from the table. Really makes me feel like I am sitting right there with you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! Those photos are amazing! That place looks awesome. And delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks like a fantastic way to spend an evening. I've always wanted to discover a secret garden after reading the book as a child.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a wonderfully scenic restaurant. I was really looking forward to this post, and it hasn't disappointed. If anything, it made me want to book a flight to Scotland! Lamb wellington sounds interesting. I have only ever heard of beef wellington before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never heard or tasted lamb wellington as well until now. It was just delicious! I am glad the post didnt disappoint :D

      Delete
  20. The setting is classy and the meals look really mouthwatering.. What's the price range? I'd assume upper end..?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks like a superb place to sup. You got some great photos, that can be tricky with low restaurant lighting. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I tend to use manual settings when shooting at night or dark settings. That way I have better control of what comes out. :D

      Delete
  22. This looks like a great restaurant! I have only been to Edinburgh once, and it was for my job, so I unfortunately did not have much time to explore the city or it`s restaurants. But I loved it, and hope to come back some day! Mmmm, that cake looks delicious! Is it chocolate?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep!...oooh sooo delicious choooocoolate :P

      Delete
  23. I've actually read about this place, it looks way cooler than i imagined!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! It really is. You should visit definitely.

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.