25 March 2015

Namibia Must Sees : Dolphin Spotting on the Shores of Walvis Bay


The morning of our last day in Swakop, Namibia I wanted to explore a bit of Walvis Bay in the last hours we had before embarking on the 5 hours towards Windhoek. We wanted to be closer to the airport for the early flight to Zambia. In my previous post, I mentioned that we had rented a car from Botswana. Thankfully we got my brother to drop us off at the airport in the morning before he set off on the 10-hour drive back to Maun in Botswana. I will be posting more from Botswana soon.


If you visit the beaches of Swakopmund, that I showed in the previous post then you have to stop by Walvis Bay. It's a short drive, about 30 minutes. Namibia as a whole is stunning with absolutely captivating landscapes, from striking sand dunes, national parks teeming with wildlife, stunning beaches. Another highlight of my trip exploring this beautiful country was spotting dolphins on the shores of Walvis Bay, among a sea of flamingos!

Walvis Bay isn't too far from the famous Skeleton Coast and Sandwich Harbour. Here you can watch seals, flamingos, whales and I have been told even hyenas will make an appearance from time to time. Definitely worth a stop, and you don't have to get on a boat to set out to sea or pay anyone to see this. Just wait on the beach for the show to begin. This wasn't planned and we certainly didn't have to check seasons when the wildlife flock here, so it may be worth a check if heading out to avoid disappointment. All along this coastline stretching either side of Walvis Bay beach, whatever the season you will still spot many a wildlife that will leave you speechless. Although I wish I could have gone in for a close look considering there was a low tide. I guess that's for my next visit.

Where to stay: When we visited we stayed in Swakopmund which was about an hour's drive from here. If you want to stay locally then check out this list of places to stay in Walvis Bay.



namibia dolphin cruise | namibian dolphin project | Namibia Holidays | Namibian    Weather | Namibia Safari | Top 30 Things to Do in Namibia | Namibia Things to Do | Namibia Things to know | Namibia When To Visit | Namibia Sout West Africa | things to do namibia africa | best things to do namibia  |things to see do in namibia |best things to see in namibia | namibia forums|  must do namibia | what to see in namibia | sights to see in namibia

Like This Post? Share it or Pin For Later.






13 comments:

  1. These pictures are incredible - what an experience. I feel transported! Really great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous photographs and lovely depth of blue colour in the sky. The Dolphins and flamingos must be so relaxing to watch.

    Angela - Garden Tea Cakes and Me

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a magical day - those flamingos are absolutely gorgeous. I love your writing - it took me there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing! Flamingoes and dolphins spotted right from the beach?! Wow wow wow!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The dolphins come so close to shore! Swimming with dolphins is on my bucket list. I have spotted some off the Kenyan Coast but they were least concerened about swimming with humans, I am hoping I'll have better luck next time I go seeking dolphins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like Kenya is another place I need to visit soon especially if you have dolphins at your doorstep as well.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful photos, they make me dream about Summer :)
    xx Elisa
    www.francinesplacediy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing to see dolphins in such close hand!
    Hope this place stays like this and we don't spoil it and take advantage of them to build those stupid dolphin shows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was an amazing site. I cant wait go back for another visit.

      Delete
  8. How incredible!!! Those dolphins are gorgeous and those pink flamingoes are stunning!!! What a view! Such a special trip to see them together like that! Fab photos, babe!
    kisses
    xoThe Beckerman Girls

    www.BeckermanBlog.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the fact that you can see all of these animals just from the shore. I love the pictures of the flamingos!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love these amazing photos! Namibia looks like it'd be so great to visit, xx

    I'm a newbie blogger hoping to make some friends in the blogging community, if you're at all interested? :3

    www.chontellelouise.blogspot.com.au

    xx Chontelle Louise

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.