5 December 2014

How to Eat Your Way Through Amsterdam


My dreams of travel extend far into many corners of this big 'ol world. There is one particular place I have been dreaming about for the last two years. Suriname, a country that lies in the northern-eastern of the Atlantic coast of South America. My daydreams are filled with pictures of pristine sandy beaches, coconut drinks, drank straight from the coconut itself and food full of exotic flavours that send me into unbounded spiral of wanderlust. To my surprise I had no idea the trip to Amsterdam a few weeks ago to celebrate 2 years together with a cuddly ginger would have me sampling authentic Surinamese food in the heart of Amsterdam. Not so far out of the ordinary as the Dutch colonised Suriname and with many places they travelled they returned with food rich in flavour that even today will leave dinners speechless as they quietly devour each intoxicately good bite.


We only planned a weekend in the city but were looking for the best way to maximise the time we had and see as much of the city without spending the whole weekend reading guide books. I then remembered I had a personal invited to join a food tour in Amsterdam. It was a no brainer! I paid for another spot on the tour and it was all sorted! Straight from  Schiphol Airport into a cab to arrive at Papeneiland Cafe to meet Chris, our tour guide on the Amsterdam Food Tour. We arrived at the cafe that serves up one of the BEST apple pies my taste buds have ever had the pleasure of making connect with. This place is so good that Bill Clinton himself sent them a letter thanking them for the apple pie that no doubt added an extra 5 years of foodlusting expeditions to my life. This place has so much history, but once I tasted the apple pie, Chris's voice faded out and I was at one with my slice of apple pie...

From there on the group on the tour tasted flavours from Suriname by way of the Pom sandwich. A sandwich made with sauteed chicken pieces with grated pomtajer mixed in with of other spices. With each stop on the tour we had stories of the foods origins, the surroundings in the city and how its evolved. We also stopped by a fish and chip shop that served pickled herring. For someone that hates anything pickled I had been converted! I must have not hidden my delight so well as a lady walking out of the shop whispered to me "Its also very good for your insides too and the oil in the fish too is good for your skin". I might have to go back to Amsterdam and buy me a few tabs of it in that case. We also stopped by a licorice store and tasted some of the sweet and salty licorice that every Dutch lives by. 

Passing by Anne Frank's house we walked towards the canals where our private tour boat was waiting. Taking the tour  to the waters didnt  mean the food stopped, it now meant we could wind down the waterways and take in the city while sipping champagne and tasting fine cheese and more of Amsterdam's great food on offer. It turned out we were not the only ones on a celebratory weekend, there was another couple on the boat on their honeymoon. How fitting that our tour  was also passing through the "Magere Brug" aka the skinny bridge. There is a belief that if you kiss while passing under this bridge you and your partner will be stay together happily ever after. Right as the skipper took us under, you know that all the couples on the boat puckered up and smooched as we passed under the bridge....

It was such a great way to see the city and eat through it at the same time, all the while learning more about Amsterdam and Netherlands in general. This was my gift to my boyfriends and he still singing its praise. Even as Londoner I have been on the their London Food Tour. I would highly recommend anyone still stamped as to what to get a loved one for Christmas. I love the idea of gift loved ones moments to cherish than things. Whether visiting London, Rome, Prague or Amsterdam. You can also take kids on theses tours too if you want to make it a family day out. We took the Jordaan Food and Canals Tour, but they also offer one that doesn't include the boat ride. I believe they are also offering 20% discount if you sign up for their newsletter, so get in fast! Below are some of the pictures I managed to take in between mowing through tasty bites of heavenly delights. Enjoy!...



Like this post? Please Share or Pin It For Later.

18 comments:

  1. love it!

    http://alovelystyle.blogspot.co.uk/

    http://www.shopstyle.com/action/loadRetailerProductPage?id=455512392&pid=uid7441-25962271-17

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like an awesome tour based on your descriptions and photos. I'm certain that I'd love everything except for the pickled herring. Herring and sardines are two of the only foods that I just don't like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hated anything pickled but this was absolutely delicious. Not over done, not fished and none of the pickled-y tast to it. Beautifully done.

      Delete
  3. That food tour experience looks great... I love trying different cuisines everytime im in a new place :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I spy some bitterballen and poffertjes in your beautiful photography!! I'm from Rotterdam (about 40 minutes away from Amsterdam) living now in the US. I love and cherish each time I get back. Amsterdam is a beautiful city. Just this summer when I was back I took my first canal ride. I didn't go under Magere Brug, though! How fun! Didn't know about that superstition. Thanks for sharing your wonderful photos of my favorite city!

    Much Love,
    -Stephanie Eva
    www.stephanieheva.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You spy correct! haha The bitterballen was delicious. My first time trying it and absolutely loved it. I am glad you enjoyed my post :D

      Delete
  5. Great pictures! What a wonderful destination!

    http://fashion-soup.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a great tour - hope to check it out one day. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fortunately more people are becoming aware how a food tour can show you a lot of a place. Sounds like a well organised (and tasty) experience. I'm sure I'll give it a try when I stop by Amsterdam :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for such an in-depth write up and your photographs are stunning. Looks like a great tour.

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks so much!!we will use your suggestions soon!! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amsterdam looks so nice in your photos. Almost makes me buy a flight and have the same experience :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this post!!! Always looking for good recommendations, and your pictures are amazing!!

    x Kat
    www.withlovefromkat.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. There is nothing I love more than eating my way through a new city. It is so cool that you were able to stumbleupon authentic Surinamese food!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like a really fun tour! I particularly love that you had some tasting in a house boat. Fantastic! I want! :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh,amazing pics! I want to go Amsterdam!
    I love your blog,is so stylish! If you have instagram let me know in a comment @carmenpaastor I wanna follow you for see all your pictures! Kisses from
    http://miescueladetacones.blogspot.com.es/
    https://www.facebook.com/miescueladetacones let me like!
    Carmen.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.