23 August 2014

Weekend Escape in Edinburgh

princess street gardens -Edinburgh

Its been quite for a little bit hasn't it?! Sorry for a little bit of the radio silence. That's not for the lack of travelling. Oh no, there is always, always time for a getaway whether a weekend or maybe two. I started another project at work so that's had me on my toes for a little bit while I got up to speed on what we will be doing on the project with the client. In the mean time I certainly hope you enjoyed my photo diary of Hong Kong and my tales of Retail Therapy and  Haggling in China's Guangzhou. All work and no play would make Bee a very dull Bee so of course my busy week work was broken up with a weekend of play in beautiful and weather-challenged Edinburgh. I also took another weekend to hide out on the borders of Somerset and Wiltshire's beautiful countryside yurts. So look out for that post.
So, Edinburgh - a city that really needs no introduction. Known for its weird and wonderful weather, it certainly didn't disappoint on that front. Scotland was hosting the Common Wealth games a week after we were there so perhaps Edinburgh was even busier than usual because of this. Busy streets packed with tourists from all walks, all taking in the city's oozing atmosphere. Kilt touting Scots playing bag pipes that you can hear in and around the city. A bustling capital built on a set of extinct volcanoes and richly reeking of history and mystery while charming visitors with a majestic vista under the watchful eye of Edinburgh Castle that towers over the city.

Edinburgh its a city that mixes old and new and filled with historic stories and legends that you can indulge in, in many of the city tours that are offered around the city or the fun filled festivals that take over the city in the summer months. Namely the popular Fringe festival in the summer that brings comedians, entertainers, musicians to the city. Because the weather was dull, dark and wet on our first day of the visit it created the perfect setting and an excuse to hide away in a cafe and sip away cup after cup of teas and coffee while trying to understand the deep Scottish accents that were peering through from other diners.

The city is not that vast so providing you have a comfortable pair of shoes and the weather is on your side, you can easily tour the city on foot. Among the must see sights of course is the Royal Mile, which has a little gem I am dying to reveal but you have to wait until the next post. Street entertainment is abundant, from magicians or those claiming it anyway, kilt-wearing bag pipers, saw playing musicians, story tellers  and a levitating Yoda! All competing for your attention, but none could compare to the 'free' surprise concert we hard at the castle of the Kaiser Chiefs who certainly brighten up a dull day...It was the perfect welcome into the city and great start to an already lovely weekend....

princess street gardens -Edinburgh - Scotland
princess street gardens -Edinburgh - Scott Monument
princess street gardens -Edinburgh
princess street gardens -Edinburgh - Scott Monument
princess street gardens -Edinburgh Market
princess street gardens -Edinburgh  - The Scotsman
princess street gardens -Edinburgh - Midlothian Heart
The Witchery By the Castle
princess street gardens - Edinburgh Castle
princess street gardens - Edinburgh Castle Ross Fountain
princess street gardens - Edinburgh Castle - Ross Fountain
princess street gardens - Edinburgh Castle

37 comments:

  1. Thanks for all the photos of Edinbourgh - brought back great memories - last visited there in 1989 - but love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness. You definitely have to revisit. I am sure its changed so much since you were last there.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful shots, Bianca! I have not been to Edinburgh since I was very young, but it looks like the perfect couple's weekend. So many lovely old buildings, restaurants and, from what I see here, wine :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. You sound like you are definitely due a visit if its been that long.

      Delete
  3. I love Edinburgh! I have a lot of memories from that place. It looks like you had a gorgeous day to enjoy it as well! Great photos as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The second day was lovely. The first day not so much. I am sure when the time is fitting I will upload those shots too. It was so foggy that I just wasn't bothered to take more pictures.

      Delete
  4. Amazing photos, now i want to go there too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Edinburgh is lovely! Thanks for sharing the pics.
    www.ubetterwork.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Edinburgh - it's a beautiful city.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is. I will have to head back there again soon.

      Delete
  7. Your photos are incredible, what a beautiful city to explore. I'd love to visit someday. I love that blue door, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You definitely should. Ryan Air will be starting in October so it will be even cheap to travel from London to Edinburgh - or so I hope.

      Delete
  8. What a colorful city! I always enjoy your pictures but especially the ones with you in them. They always make me smile. Thanks Bianca!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Daidri :) I am usually behind the camera most times...

      Delete
  9. Amazing Photos :) Wonderful city ... Would love to go there

    ReplyDelete
  10. You certainly did a lot in one weekend. Looks like it was a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great tips and great pictures too. Sounds like a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So many great pictures from Edinburg! Scotland is a nice country. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry if this gets posted twice but wasn't sure if my first comment went through! I love the pics and you made me super curious about your little Royal Mile 'gem'. Can't wait to read about it !

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful town. I´d like to spend some time in the restaurant you were talking about on Facebook. Something with witch ;) .
    Anyone I was talking about Edinburgh liked this town a lot. I already had a flight booked but couldn´t make it.
    Someday...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That post is now up so you can check out my review of the The Witchery's Secret Garden :D

      Delete
  15. So pretty. I hope to come to Edinburgh later this year. What places do you recommend me to visit?

    http://www.madelinefedmont.com/hong-kong/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When are you going? I will be doing a top 10 places and things to see soon. Look out for that.

      Delete
  16. I have had a trip to Scotland close to the top of my bucket list for a long time. Edinburgh looks absolutely gorgeous and fun too! Thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think I might have posted twice not sure what happened to the first one - hee hee what a beautiful place really gorgeous and your photos are fantastic. I have not been to Edinburgh but I need to add it to my list for sure! Thank you for sharing What is the name of the gorgrous building sitting at the top of the stairway - is it a church?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks like a great weekend getaway! Nice photos!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great shots! I'm off to Edinburgh next month and really looking forward to it now!

    ReplyDelete
  20. SO pretty. I love how you framed a lot of your photos with the trees, Can't wait to visit this part of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This city is really awesome *_*
    kisses

    Francesca http://everydaycoffee23.blogspot.it

    ReplyDelete
  22. i'm so envious! i've always wanted to go to Edinburgh--it looks beautiful, especially int he summer, and your photography is lovely

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love this post, so much character and culture! Beautiful.
    ~Sophia
    http://plaidismyfavouritecolour.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. such gorgeous photos! would love to visit Edinburgh one day!

    lifeisashoe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.