22 October 2013

The Windy City | 48 Hours in Chicago


Magnificent Mile Chicago

This is the second instalment to the USA trip blog post. Check out the first one on Ohio's beautiful hiking trails in Logan County and Benton Habour's awesome views here. 

While road tripping around parts of the USA I finally made it to the Windy City of the USA after getting my brother to drive my sister and I. That's Chicago's nickname by the way. Named so, not because the city is windy but apparently because the politicians and city boosters were full of "hot air". They might still have hot air considering all the TV was showing when I was there was related to the government shutdown.


After criss-crossing around Columbus in Ohio and Niles and Benton Harbor of Michigan I stopped by Chicago for 2 days before heading to Seattle. Arrived to great weather, it was lovely and warm which allowed for exploring on foot. Beautiful lakefront on lake Michigan offering up some stunning views of Chicago's majestic skyline. Chicago's Beach front is great for people watching while locals pass by on bicycles(which tourist can also rent on many stands - think NY Citi bikes or London's Boris/Barclays bikes), roller blades and some just lazily strolling by enjoying the weather and scenery. 

I stayed in what is referred to as the Magnificent Mile or Mag Mile which gave me easy access to the lively and buzzing city. A premier shopping destination and a prestigious section of Chicago's Michigan Avenue. Venturing to the pier for the views, the lakefront beach, Millennium park and Buckingham fountain. 



My time was short in Chicago but I managed to also take in the Chicago's lakefront walk. I enjoyed Chicago. There is so much to see and do in the city. Its a shame I only had a short time in Chicago but would love to come back and explore more of the city as well as check out the views from the Sear's tower(Willis Tower).  Below as some of my pictures of Chicago before I flew to Seattle.


Trump Towers -  Magnificent Mile Chicago

Magnificent Mile Chicago Burberry


The queue for free food celebrating a restaurant's anniversary.
Magnificent Mile Chicago Willis Tower
Chicago's Beachfront


Magnificent Mile Chicago Pier



Magnificent Mile Chicago


Magnificent Mile Chicago Navy Pier
These were littered outside Navy Pier with lots of different designs. This was one of my favourites.

Magnificent Mile Chicago
Lovely hair style!

Great Chicago Fire Hydrant Public Exhibition - See more of these at outside Chicago Navy Pier park


Magnificent Mile Chicago Navy Pier




Magnificent Mile Chicago Childrens Museum




Having fun in the park..


Magnificent Mile Chicago












Watching the Sun go down on Chicago... time to move on to Seattle...

PIN FOR LATER:


7 comments:

  1. Those fire hydrants look wonderful. Wish we have those also in the Philippines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are pretty cool. Well if you can afford the price tag you can buy a few for the Philippines when they go on auction in a few weeks time.

      Delete
  2. Oh your photos are really making me long for Chicago! I lived there for 3 years while I was in school and I feel like I didn't really get to experience the city as I would've really liked. I need to plan a summer trip back there. I miss shopping on the Magnificent Mile and special dinners at the Drake and the ferris wheel at the Navy Pier. Chicago has such great energy. Great photos - especially the last shot of the setting sun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chicago looks amazing! Somewhere I would definitely like to see for myself (hoping for a seat sale soon!) Your photos, as always, are fantastic. I love that fire hydrant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, good luck with the sales. I really love Chicago hopefully next time I will stay longer.

      Delete
  4. Wow!! I'm organizing during this week a business trip for my boss in Chicago!! Thanks for your brilliant article!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome. I glad my post came in handy then. Hope your boss enjoys the city.

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.