15 April 2016

Travel Essentials | 6 Tips and Tricks on How to Look Refreshed After Long Haul Flights



Last year saw me travel a lot more that I usually do and with the majority of my trips long haul  travel I thought I would share some tips that help me look and feel refreshed after long haul flights. As well as share some travel essentials that are staples in my carry-on. My trusted pink Longchamp has been to Hong Kong, Australia and all over Europe and still continues to survive the trips and the contents I tend to throw in it. This simple and little bag is unbelievably durable. This coming from someone who will pack everything but the kitchen sink and that straps are still intact!

In addition to having a magazine, book or the iPad I have always packed items that I can easily access once I get on the flight. Items that will allow me to easily relax and rest. Below are some of the tips that help me and will hopefully help you feel more refreshed after long haul flights.

1. H2O - Drink Plenty of Water - Travelling can be dehydrating, especially during long-haul travel. Dehydration can also mean dry pasty looking skin when you land so drink as much water as possible before and during your flight.

2. Get Some Sleep - If flying long haul I tend to pick flights leaving at night but even if you leave in the morning or afternoon. Try and get as much sleep on the flight as possible to help you align your sleeping patterns to the destination time zone. Getting some rest on the flight also means reducing the effects of jet-lag when your arrive. Details of This Stuff Work Lavender spray below in the carry-on essentials.


3. Take Make Up Off - When travelling long haul wear as little make-up as possible. Usually, brow pencil and mascara is about as much as I wear when flying long haul. That way you don't have to spend forever taking it all over when you get on the flight. Not only that I have alway found the air on flights to somehow help the makeup clog up the pores. If you do wear make-up, though, just take that off before dosing off on the flight. Having wipes in your bag or carry-on gives your quick access to help remove any make-up.

4. Wrap Hair to Avoid Dry Bedhead Hair - For that refreshed look when your get off the plane, I find that wrapping the hair or a simple braid and tuck helps return moistures so that when you unwrap the hair as you get off the flight you reduce the bed hair effect and add a little volume at the same time.

5. Cleanse,Tone, Moisturise - This is a no-brainer. You skin always looks brighter and more radiant when you take of it. Travel as fun as it is, the business of flying can be drying on the skin. I usually have oily to combination skin but flying sometimes can produce extra sebum and then sometimes dry on longer flights. I always find that removing make-up, cleansing, toning and the moisturising properly helps counter the effects of the drying air on the plane.

6. Get Comfortable - Let's face it, plan seats are not the most comfortable things are they? So those little things you bring with you can go a long way in making your flight a little more comfortable and bearable enough for your to get some rest during long flights. So a shawl, wrap or scarf can keep your warm when they blast that aircon as well as the trusty cashmere socks. Also, make sure you wear comfortable shoes when flying. Just a few essentials I always pack to make travel that little more comfortable.


In-Flight Routine




In Flight -  Shortly after take off I sneak off to the bathroom to remove any makeup, whether that is with a cleanser/toner, my Ren hot cloth cleaner or with wipes, depending on what I have packed at the time. I remove any makeup and moisturise. I currently dance between Elizabeth Arden and Decleor moisturisers as they are the only ones that seem to agree with me and not make my skin get too oily. Brush my teeth and wrap my hair. By the time I get back to my seat I feel refreshed and my seat mates usually think it's a different person sitting next to them as I turn up with a silk scarf around my hair.

Before Arriving - About 30 to hour minutes before landing. I sneak off to the toilets again. Freshen up with wipes, moisturise (if I am using tinted moisturiser I use my trusted MAC Tinted Creme with 30 SPF), unbraid or unravel my hair, apply a little oil or moisturise to hair, depending on current hairstyle, brush teeth. Apply brow pencil and a little mascara and you are good to go!



Travel Staples I Pack In My Carry-On For Long Haul Travel




Longchamp Travel Bag is usually my main carry-on of choice when I travel, especially if I have checked in bags. It's big enough for me to stuff it with my all my travel essentials that I need for in-flight comfort as well as anything I may need for any layovers while my main suitcase gets transferred to the next flight. I also love that the Longchamp carry-on  folds over to the size of a small purse so that if I am travelling light, but know that I will be coming back with more than I went with, it's perfect for bringing back goodies without having to take an empty suitcase with me.

Face Wipes this and hand sanitizer are always in my handbag or carry-on. Usually, I try and sneak off to the toilets on late flights to wash off any make-up or cleanse/tone but sometimes you are lazy and can just use the wipes to remove any make-up from your seat. These are also perfect for wipe any any germs from seat handles and people's hands you may have been checking through the day(can you tell I am a germophobe)

Ren Hot Cloth Cleanser  I love Ren products. I actually found out about their products when my young sister got a job with Ren in there Shepards Bush store and always used to tease my sister about their products until I tried them. It was love at first application. I have their bath oils, lotions and body washes are just to die for. That Neroli and grapefruit has always been a favourite. Another item from their range that I tend to travel with is the Ren Hot Cloth Cleanser, it gently exfoliates and removes all make-up without that drying feeling. Leaving your skin refreshed and ready for moisturiser.

Sleeping Eye Mask  I am a light sleeper and find any little thing can disturb my sleep. I can't exactly avoid the noise on the flight but I can certainly avoid those flicking their lights on and off when reading or watching moving on the flight so I tend to pack a sleeping mask in my carry on just in case I need the help to sleep.

This Works  I have the smaller pillow spray but last Xmas my boyfriend bought me a gift box from This Works, which included the pillow spray among their bath soaks and a few other items. What I love about it was that I now had a slightly big version of my lavender pillow spray. I tell you this stuff works!! I am not only a light sleeper but also an insomniac. On the flight, I usually either spray a little on my eye mask, the travel pillow or spray it on a tissue and just sit back with that over my nose and relax into sleep. Perfect for long haul flights when you want to sleep and align yourself with the destination time zone.

Silk Scarf   I have a couple of silk and satin scarves that I rotate and travel with. The air conditioning on flights can be drying to not only your skin but also your hair. I usually find that wrapping your hair and tying a silk or satin scarf on your head to help with retaining moisture in hair when travelling long haul. Returning moisture in your hair means also goes a long way on looking refreshed when you finally get off the plane.


Pin It For Later






6 comments:

  1. yes to a lot of water. i get dehydrated on the flights easily :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. these are all so perfect when traveling so far, drinking water makes all the difference while traveling=o) thanks for sharing

    http://dreamofadventures.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks of the tips, I've just pinned too x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some really useful tips here. I always carry a pashmina scarf with me to cuddle up with and drink lots of water. I also like to spritz my face regularly with a hydrating spray which seems to work well. #TheWeeklyPostcard

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tips, I never thought about wrapping my hair when I sleep so I shall try it on our next flight! :)
    http://lilinhaangel.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty awesome tips! I've never been on a really long flight. The longest has been about 3 hours. Even then, I pack some of the same essentials that you've mentioned and I also follow some of the same practices. This is my first time hearing about pillow spray so I'm interesting in trying that at home and while on a plane.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.