27 October 2014

Dreaming of Greece...


Wanderlusting is a serious, serious illness. One that I am not seeking a cure for. I have just come back from a two-week long African holiday, as some of your may have seen my stream of pictures on Instagram and Facebook. I went right in the middle of hot and blazing summer but now that I am back to London, its like being put in a fridge having swapped warm and toasty sunshine, yes the kind of toasty that gets the serotonin juices going. At 35-40oC it was a blissful two weeks and now I am back London is grey, wet and windy,  all wrapped around the leftovers of Hurricane Gonzales. So you can’t blame a girl when she is already day dreaming about a girly trip to sunnier destinations.

My young sister and her friend are coming down from the USA early next year(its just around the corner) and we are planning a trip to Greece when they visit.  Small problem though is that she thinks in dollars while I ponder in pounds, so we have to make sure where ever we go its suits my budget and both hers and her friend, when it comes to getting their money's worth in dollars.

We are still toying with the idea of Croatia, Spain or Greece. I have been to both Croatia and Spain you can read about my musical weekend in Croatia and my sisterly visit to Madrid. Having also missed the TBEX meetup for bloggers that was held in Athens, Greece last week, I am gutted I couldn't go. Hence why we are now super excited to sync diaries, budgets and officially pin down Greece. It’s those picturesque blue church domes in Santorini's Oia, standing out among white villas on the edges of the island or maybe the idea of chillaxing on sun loungers with sea views and groups of islands created by volcanoes beautifully drenched in warm sunny glows. The very idea of it has me salivating. So how does one get her serotonin with sisters in tow and not break the bank?! We have seen a couple of great deals on First Choice who have flights to plenty of Mediterranean destinations. This also means we have much more flexibility on when we fly out depending on when my two American companions can land in the UK. If Greece doesn't happen(god forbid), we may head to Egypt, where I did my first sea dive last year - pictures below. Can you tell I have a theme for wanting to be near the sea?

Santorini is definitely on the cards but we are most likely going to blow a good 7-10 days in Greece. As much as those stunning pictures of Santorini are calling my name each time I have my laptop on, I also want to explore Athens and immerse myself in Greek mythology, the history and of course the delicious good and wine, perhaps party like Zeus, the Father of Gods and men was throwing down a soiree to end all soirees on Mount Olympus.

This is where you come in, my fellow reader, blogger, dreamer and wanderlusters! Been to Greece? Any tips for transportation between the islands? We are hoping to book before the end of the year, but I would still love to hear about any hotel recommendations in Santorini, Mykonos, Athens or any other city you think we should consider.  I love hearing about first hand experiences when I travel. This is one of the reasons behind the blog, I get to share first hand accounts of places I have been too, in the hope of helping someone else (or get tips from you too) better plan their  next getaway for some RnR or full on adventure!

So comment below with your tips! Hotels, restaurants, sights, activities and everything cool in between you have experienced or something you may have come across about the Greece that we might want to add to our girly trip itinerary.


All taken in Egypt's Red Sea Resorts







13 comments:

  1. Aw, memories! Hubby and I went to the island of Zante for our first holiday as a couple back in 03 (I think)! It was amazing weather, fantastic food and great places to explore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I hear Zante is beautiful too...lets face it what part of Greece isnt.

      Delete
  2. Greece is so beautiful, and I went diving in the Red Sea too! How cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not yet been but would love to spend a couple of weeks traveling around Greece, especially with some sailing sprinkled in there. I'm sure you'll have an opportunity to do some further diving there too. Good luck with the planning and look forward to some future pictures and words on Greece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never been to Greece, so I'm afraid I'm useless on the tips front! My advice would be to eat as much food as possible! I love the photo of the shipwreck by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the best part. I will staff my face good :D

      Delete
  5. I just came back from a trip in August and had a blast! We did the Medsailors sailing trip which is in the Saronic Islands just out of Athens, and was a fabulous time. When we stayed in Athens we were in the City Circus Hostel which I really recommend, it's modern, very tidy and clean and in a great location :) We also did the free walking tour they recommended (which we of course tipped for!) and were lucky to get a guide who was a former archaeologist and incredibly passionate about his city, it was brilliant. I'll be posting more about my trip on my blog Two Feet, One World over the next few weeks if you're interested :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely will be looking out for your post Jessi and thanks for the tips too.

      Delete
  6. Oh I've been dreaming of Greece as well recently! Being in the UK with the ever changing weather, I just dream of a beautiful beach and water to dip in :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hear you! I just came back from Chile and Easter Island and I'm not loving the autumn temperatures in Prague.. already starting to plan my winter getaway..
    As for Greece, I can't be of much help, I took a trip there quite a while ago and it was one of the few where I went with an agency!
    Good luck with the planning!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh I agree, wanderlusting is very serious. How awesome you are planning on Greece...I've never been but maybe someday. Check out Jenna's posts on island hopping in Greece, though! http://jennafinch.blogspot.cz/search/label/Greece

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Nice! Just the kind of thing I was after too :D #happytravels

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.