5 September 2014

Countryside Escapes and Hideaways

British Countryside Escapes and Hideaways - Camping Cottage Yurt

There is something about the countryside air and days spent enjoying the company of friends with rolling countryside views to boot. I would never have thought to have a birthday celebration camping in the wilderness but when my boyfriend's friends suggested a weekend around the fire I raised an eyebrow. Considering my usual posts, camping is not something I do all the time but I am no stranger to a campsite at all. It's just that Birthdays are synonomous with booze filled celebrations and hangovers(that's not a confession by the way), but I was certainly up for a weekend getaway. Having just dodged an Ikea DIY disaster we set off on the two and a half hour drive leaving London's concrete jungle in favour of some RnR with Mother Nature. The weather was set to be on its best behaviour for the weekend which was a deciding factor for me.


After much admiration of single lane country roads enveloped by trees that create tunnels that I imagine would look even more picturesque when fall comes, we arrived on the site. Rock East Woodland Campsite is a hit with families! Seeing the kiddies running around playing catch, football, playing hide and seek in the open countryside and just the happy memories their parents were creating with and for them is enough to put a smile on anyone's face. Family travel doesn't have to cost an arm and sights like these just prove that even when you do have kids there is no excuse not to get away from it all and just enjoy the company of loved ones without the heavy air and stresses of city life. Just pack a tent, sleeping bag and within a few hours you are at one with nature!

After random chats over camp fire and BBQ dinner it was time to head to bed. When morning came we were slowly awakened by the sounds of birds chirping and light peering through the Yurt's skylight opening overhead. Relaxing with acres of beautiful woodlands boasting a rich collection of woodland trees, some of which are native to the Nordics. They say that finding a sense of balance both within ourselves and amid our surroundings is often said to be the key to unlocking the true meaning of happiness. It was definitely bliss taking a short walk first thing in the morning in the woodlands surrounding our yurt. The perfect me-time early in the morning with nothing but nature for company. 

Considering this is only 2 hours drive away from the hassle and bustle of London it's such a shame we don't do this as much as we should, considering how hugely beneficial it is to both mind, body and soul. My me-time morning walk, blissful contemplation and the peace offered by my surroundings was interrupted by my stomach's morning growl. Collecting my items from the cosy yurt and scrambling up the small hill with perfect timing as an open fire was already going with pot for tea and a hearty, smoked full English breakfast on the BBQ....Bliss!

There isn't a greater delight than sitting around the warmth of a fire with friends and good food...

Added to answer some of the comments below:

  • For more info on the camping site and whats available check out the Rock East Campsite website
  • Prices for the Yurt is £40 a night and that was between 4 of us who had a little mishap with the tent. The others stayed in the tent you can partially see in the 13th picture. 
  • If you bring your own tent its about £25 per unit, covering 2 adults and 2 children.

So when was the last time you went out camping or glamping?


British Countryside Escapes and Hideaways - Camping - Rock East
British Countryside Escapes and Hideaways - Camping - Rock East
British Countryside Escapes and Hideaways - Camping - Rock East
British Countryside Yurts - Camping - Rock East  Glamping
Yurt Glamping Camping - Rock East Somerset camping site
Yurt Glamping British Countryside Escapes and Hideaways - Camping - Rock East
British Countryside Escapes and Hideaways - Camping - Rock East
British Countryside Escapes and Hideaways - Camping - Rock East

26 comments:

  1. What a unique trip! Sounds fantastic (:

    -Rae
    raesayshey.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. les photos sont magnifiques!

    http://fashioneiric.blogspot.com.
    Coline ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. the scenery is gorgeous, i'd love to be surrounded by all that nature

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is luxury camping! Was it expensive. I mean, you said it was cheap but maybe not cheap enough for my standards. It definitely looks gorgeous though. Hey you know what I am going to England soon. Maybe a good idea to take a break and go? Where is it exactly?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, It really wasnt expensive. Four of us shared the Yurt which worked out to £10 a head for the night unless you want it all to yourself it would be £40. You can also bring your own tent on site for £25. Its Rock East campsite in Somerset/Bath area.

      Delete
  5. Great photos! This looks like a lovely place for a weekend get-away :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks lovely! The scenery isn't quite what I imagine when i think of camping because I'm used to camping in the middle of the forest but this looks like it'd be a nice change of scenery

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a Woodland area with a forest where the yurts are located. It really is a lovely way to have a change of scenery from city life if just for the weekend

      Delete
  7. Those tents look rather glamorous! Was this a spot of glamping? I absolutely love camping - I think there is something so wonderful about sitting up late round the fire, and then rising early in the crisp morning. It looks like you a great time anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My boyfriend's friend whose birthday it was, his brother brought with him a lovely tent. When I looked at the price of his tent it was definitely in the glam glamping category space :O

      Delete
  8. A camping trip for a birthday sounds like a great way to celebrate! I'm sure there were even some booze filled moments. I love sitting around a campfire drinking and just chatting with friends. It's always nice to explore local (ish) areas to where you're based. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was a lovely way to celebrate someone's birthday. It might have given me an idea for my own.

      Delete
  9. I most definitely fall into the glamping category. I will adventure all day but I need a bed and a shower at night!

    ReplyDelete
  10. a outdoor birthday celebration sounds like a great idea. definitely not your average birthday party ;) Cool tent btw

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now this is definitely in the realms of glamping! And fairly uniquely at that! It must have been so cozy in there with that little stove? Happy belated birthday by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I camped for the first time as an adult last month and really enjoyed it. I agree that it's great to take time out and reconnect with nature. But the next time around, I think I'd prefer glamping, or at least having access to running water and a toilet that flushes. :-/

    ReplyDelete
  13. This camping looks good, take me with you next time? Thanks for linking this up to #SundayTraveler B.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was backpacking/camping in the wild earlier this summer in Algonquin Provincial Park - and it was by no means glamorous! Far from it :) Every once in a while something like this would be so nice, but ultimately I love the basics of the wilderness.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like so much fun!! I don't think I can camp where I live but I would I could. Oh and a Yurt? How amazing is that!! Great photos by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks awesome. I'll be in London in a month so might consider doing this - might be a bit cold by then though!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very cool!! I've always wanted to stay in a yurt! That looks like an awesome experience and a beautiful surrounding. Not too pricey either!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Amazing experience! I've stayed in a yurt in mongolia with LOADS of other people, I'd love doing that again with a group of friends. The country looks lovely and you were really lucky with the weather!

    ReplyDelete
  19. so pretty and lush! I wanted to go glamping this summer but wasn't able to... want to soon!

    http://heyprettything.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks like it was a great adventure! I've always wanted to sleep in a yurt.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.