27 May 2017

Sleeping Sound Under Secret Iceland Waterfalls | A Must Have Experience When You Visit Iceland



Oh Iceland, a country that is probably on every wanderlusting traveler's bucket list. The land of fire and ice is brimming with waterfalls, volcanoes, geysers, glaciers, geothermal pools and somewhere in all of that is an adventure to be had. Adventure is my middle name! With that in mind, we set off in a camper van down south of Iceland. Having stopped to see Geysers we stumbled on Godafoss by accident as we didn't realise just how close it was from the Geysers and boiling earth of Litl Geyser. Having made a few stops along the way it wasn't until late in the night that we stumbled on Seljalandsfoss, this was close to the mark I had placed on a map to get us to the camping spot we were going to spend a night. I actually had no idea our camping spot was going to be right next to the falls. We arrived after midnight, but there was still a bit of light. We had Seljalandsfoss all to ourselves! 

Considering how tired we were from the day's exploration and driving it wasn't long before the search went back to hunting for the camping spot hidding behide trees a road up head. When we finally found the camping site, we were still running on adrenaline from exploring and discovering Seljalandsfoss that we actually didn't realise that we had parked our campervan right in front of Iceland's secret waterfall that is Gljufrabui waterfalls. With the sound of waterfalls in the background on quiet campgrounds, it was not long before were sleeping sound to the sounds of Iceland's secret waterfall. I actually though the sound we could hear was from Seljalandsfoss. It was definitely a lovely surprise to wake up and discover Gljufraui falls hidden behind a canyon just in front our camper van and one must-experience to have when you visit Iceland.

Gljúfrabúi Secret Waterfall


Nestled and partially hidden by its own canyon, Gljufrabui was not actually on our list of stops but when it presented itself in the morning we couldn't pass up the chance to see it. You literally have to walk between the gap or crack in the rock, with water trickling down a small stream to access the waterfall. Once through the crack, you are graced with the 40-meter high hidden gem.  Gljufrabui is actually easier to find than one would think. We chose to camp at Hamragardar camping ground for the night. Locating the campsite isn't a hard task(in  daylight that is) as it sits only a few meters from Seljalandsfoss, which in turn can be seen from the Ring Road. This camping site is where we stood in darkness helping a couple put together their brand new tent, well semi-darkness as we only had light from mobile phone torches to put the tent up. After watching them fighting to figure out which way was which, we couldn't go to sleep in our camper hearing them rustling with the tent. This is actually one of the reasons why you always have to try putting your tent together before a camping trip. Although we laughed about at the time, four adults wrestling with polyester in the dark, we did eventually put it together but an experience I was determined to avoid when I bought a new tent for my trip hiking and camping on the trail to Trolltunga. I guess this is what makes the experience of sleeping to the sound of waterfalls that much more memorable.


Seljalandsfoss


We stumbled onto Seljalandsfoss shortly after the midnight sun had descended, and with it regret that I didn't have the energy for a photography session when we had the waterfalls all to ourselves. One of the most visited waterfalls in Iceland and probably on of the most photographed and one of the only waterfalls you can actually walk behind the curtain of water. Fed from melting water from the glacier-capped Eyjafjallajokull volcano. This beautiful waterfall is accessed from a small farm of Seljaland which sits close to the Ring Road. Seljalandsfoss and Skogafoss can easily be seen from the Ring Road so a road trip around Iceland can be easily accommodat these two to any itinerary without losing too much time off travel plans around the country or as part of a day trip tour of the Golden Circle.

The morning after we stumbled onto the waterfall and the rain had stopped but the surrounding area was covered in beautiful wild flowers and just like hidden waterfall is tainted with fun memories of figuring out how to set up a tent in darkness, Seljalandsfoss on the other hand had my boyfriend flying down the hill as one had forgotten that it had rained during the night, making surfaces quite muddy. Not only did he land on his butt once but twice, rather ungracefully too, which left me in fits of giggles and him, well the look on his face was priceless....Looking through the trip images usually brings a smile, good that he can now see the lighter side of it this experience. Sleeping in the nearby campsite gives you amazing views of this waterfall as well as easy access to it before bus loads of tourists arrive for the rush hour.




Skogafoss


This is another memorable stay during our road trip around the Ring Road. Another beautiful waterfall in Iceland that can easily be seen from the Ring Road, making it easy to find. One of Iceland's most unique waterfalls as it is fed directly from two glaciers; Eyjafjallajokull and Myrdalsjokull. All three waterfalls above seem to be attached to weird and crazy memories. Skogafass is another memorable one as this is where I blow the biggest hissy-fit I have ever had and all because "insta-husband" was not doing what he was told while I was busy trying to do "Instagram-worthy" poses. Yes, couple's travels are not always rosy. It makes me smiles and feel a little embarrassed looking through images taken at Skogafoss as midway through this terrible-twos-sized blow-out I was hit with the most confusing responses from my boyfriend that only make sense now. After I had calmed down my boyfriend kept on saying "You are the one sweetheart. Can we just enjoy the surroundings without wanting to capture each and every corner?" When you are pissesd and boiling, half of what is being said to you goes over your head. Four months later I come to find out what all the confusing repeated responses of "you're the one sweetheart" fixed into sentences while trying to calm me down meant. Months before, my then boyfriends had been sneaking out with some of my rings to the jewelers to figure out what size engagement ring to have made. Long story short, I calmed down enough to agree not to take any more pictures or take my Nikon up the 300 plus steps the viewing platform at the top of the waterfalls. I left the Nikon in the campervan but snuck my Samsung phone in my pocket where little video of waterfalls below was taken. Four months after these pictures were taken I was presented with a rose-shaped custom-made engagement ring. Skogafoss shall forever be known as the hissy-fit falls. We soon made up though, and I guess a lesson learned on how not to put too much pressure on "insta-husband" when it comes to capturing our adventures.

There is a cafe near the waterfall where we made up over food and drink and put the hissy-fit down to being tired from road-tripping around the Ring Road while stuck in a four-wheeled tin box. It was on our second round trip back on the Ring Road from Vik that we stayed overnight at the campsite and yet to more restful sleep with the sound of the powerful roar of Skogafoss. Yet another experience you need to have when you visit Iceland - minus the hissy-fit, obviously! In the meant-time perhaps a post on how to travel as a couple without killing each other over silly things is in order? Yes? I will add it to the list of posts. In the meantime enjoy the shots taken from my baby-sized tantrum.


Enjoyed it? Pin to board!


9 comments:

  1. those waterfalls are spectacular! I'm going to iceland this summer so this got me even more excited :)
    also so sweet that your boyfriend was sneaking out with your rings, what a sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like an incredible experience. There are few things in life that are more magical than waterfalls! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing adventure! Love your pictures and I hope I get to experience it sometime too. Like you said, Iceland is on everyone's bucket list. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Iceland and it's waterfalls- but I didn't know you could camp by these ones! That being said both my visits have been during winter so camping wasn't really on my mind- but thats pretty awesome for summer visitors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So interesting. I love the pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm full in the planning phase of my Iceland road trip coming up in October and this is giving me major wanderlust, it looks incredible! I have yet to convince my friend to sleep in a camper van for a whole week, but I'll send her this and it might just convince her! Haha! Great post, thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such epic photos in this post! Camping under or by the falls would be the exact kind of thing I'd be googling before going here. EXACTLY my kind of experience! This looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also did the same haha! Just came back from my Iceland trip 3 weeks ago :) It was so cold to sleep under the waterfalls.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Camping is my new love and when I do plan a visit to Iceland, it has to be in summer. Sleeping under the waterfalls sounds fun. My kids will love it :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.