3 May 2014

Post Cards From Desenzano | Why You Need To Visit Italy's Post Card Cute Towns On Lake Garda

Desenzano |  Post Cards From Lake Garda


In my last post; 48 hours in Milan,  I mentioned that I wasn't too impressed with Milan. Beautiful spots with friendly locals and yet it just didn't impress me. You might have visited Milan are now asking yourself if I am totally blind to all that beautiful architecture, the great food at that lovely little restaurant that you are dying to keep secret but will tell me anyway(leave the name and location in the comments below). Anyway, as I was saying, in my defence I started with Desenzano before heading to Milan. Perhaps I will do Milan first then Desenazno on my next venture to the Lombardy region of Italy. It was a bit like heading back into London's hustle and bustle after a relaxing holiday.


If you want to discover another part of Italy, other than the obvious cities such as Rome, Venice and Milan, let it be Desenzano. When I saw the pictures I just knew I had to see this place. Its located on the edge of Lake Garda, the largest of the Italian Lakes. Very popular with Italian vacationers, sitting in Northern Italy, halfway between Brescia and Verona and between Venice and Milan. Lake Garda has numerous towns around the lake. We based ourselves in Desenzano, making it easy to visit the other towns around the lake. You will be sure to experience a taste of excellent food, beautiful scenery, terraced cafes, tree-lined promenades and little benches on the edge of the lake to watch the day go by. Pretty little streets with cobbled stones and narrow alleyways filled with Italy's most delicious gelato ice cream shops. Charming locals, in this relaxed setting, plenty of Italian boutiques for some retail therapy, including a designer outlet with Italy's finest goods. Getting round the town is easy as everything is in walking distance, but if you want to go for a boat ride, you can rent a speedboat or go on a ferry trip. All this is located in the center of the town. The water around the town was too inviting to ignore so we took to the waters for exploring around the lake.

There is something peaceful about the vast expanse of water in Lake Garda, its smoothness, the stillness, particularly when the sun was sparkling on it or when it was dark and the moon shone on it. You completely surrender yourself to this beauty. It's amazing how the colour of the lake would change with the turning of the weather or as we moved around the towns on the lake. For spectacular views of  Lake Garda we traveled to Malcesine in the North, we rode the cable car to Monte Baldo, which rises 1600m in just 10 minutes. Suddenly the lake was misty and the boats all looked as small as paper boats, morphing into a painting-like scenery it was hypnotizing. You are just drawn into this calming scenery. We hiked in the mountains gazing at the little towns spread across the lake before taking the cable car back to Malcesine central town for more exploring.  Malcesine also turns into a ski resort in winter when the mountains are covered in snow.

We also traveled around to Salo, Sirmione, Garda but there are more towns around the lake. There are fleets of ferries operating around the lake so getting the timetable is a must, to help you plan your visits to the towns. There are a large number of historical buildings dating back centuries, beautiful churches and cathedrals waiting to be explored. There are also many activities available around the towns, windsurfing, paragliding, kayaking, climbing, hiking, mountain biking or just leisurely walking the towns with just the most amazing scenery. I have been back twice now and cannot wait for yet another visit around the lake, I can almost hear Italy calling my name again.

Getting to Desenzano is easy. The nearest airport to Desenzano is Verona. This is served by British Airways, EasyJet, and Ryanair. From Verona there is a short train ride leading you to Italy's hidden escape....Desenzano.


Where to stay:


Lake Garda is huge so looking for a place to stay means first having to look at where you are going to base yourself and your plans for what other surrounding towns you will be visiting. For example, we stayed in Desenzano but visited  Sirmione, Malcesine and another town that was a quick stop. For a full list of hotel options in Lake Garda here is a list covering all budgets from frugal to luxury budget accommodation in Lake Garda.


Desenzano |  Post Cards From Lake Garda
Desenzano |  Post Cards From Lake Garda
Desenzano |  Post Cards From Lake Garda
Desenzano |  Post Cards From Lake Garda
Desenzano |  Post Cards From Lake Garda
Desenzano |  Post Cards From Lake Garda
Desenzano |  Post Cards From Lake Garda
Desenzano |  Post Cards From Lake Garda

Have you been to Desenzano or visited around Lake Garda?


Like this post? Share it or Pin It For Later.






31 comments:

  1. Truly a postcard-perfect spot! You got much closer than I would have ventured. And way to capture the simple beauty of the train station - even the transport hub is artfully designed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yep. Even the stations are picture worthy.

      Delete
  2. As gorgeous as many cities are, I almost always prefer countryside and small towns/villages. I can see why you preferred Desenzano :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to go to Lake Garda and eat ice cream! I really love your clothes, especially the red trousers =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never been but I must admit, after seeing so many detailed photos I feel live I've been! Great shots, Bee, thank you for taking the time to share them. I'd love to see that misty lake some day...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am glad you enjoyed them.

      Delete
  5. I love Lake Garda, especially Monte Baldo - if you can put up with the queue for the cable car it's a fabulous place for walking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely post. You're a really good writer! I too like to bypass the cities and opt for the countryside.
    Also, I love your sunglasses :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am glad you are enjoying the writing and yes I do prefer the country side most times.

      Delete
  7. Looks pretty! Seems like it'd be fun to go sailing around there

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very fun to see you in so many of these pictures Bee, the one with the castle behind you is a framer! I haven't ever been to Desenzano but feel as though I have through your pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Daidri, its not often I am in front of the camera. I much prefer being behind it, I quite like how these came out.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful place! I can imagine myself living by that lake. I can also see that's it's surrounded by mountains! Just perfect for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, its totally beautiful I didnt want to leave.

      Delete
  10. Such beautiful photo's, it looks like such a lovely place!

    Kirsten x

    http://cocosouth.com
    https://www.facebook.com/cocosouthblog

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely photos and lovely place..And it doesnt look as crowded as most of Italian cities

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lake Garda is really a beautiful place. We drove past it last year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks absolutely gorgeous and very less crowded! I would love to visit here someday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a beautiful pics! This place is amazing <3 <3
    Kisses
    Francesca http://everydaycoffee23.blogspot.it

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't been up the lake areas, it looks amazing and colorful, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love that photo of the boats with the little guy taking a photo - so cute! Thanks for linking up with us to #SundayTraveler again.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks beautiful! I've been to other lakes in northern Italy, but not Garda - a bit of a glaring omission! I'd love to go back. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  18. beautiful photos, beautiful place indeed!
    http://sepatuholig.blogspot.com/
    instagram.com/gracenjio

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'd never heard of this place, looks great though!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your photos reminded me how much I like Lake Garda. Great place to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Amazing pictures! :)
    http://liveoutloudpris.weebly.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. Garda is quite nice, glad you enjoyed. And no, you didn't miss much in Milano. Been there several times and it's really not that impressive. It's busy, frenetic and can be fun, but it's not the most picturesque.

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's a pretty awesome review of your trip! You've done it well! Wish you lot's inspiration and admiring trips! www.toamsterdam.net

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.